Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hail damage potential ?

Options
LoisLane
LoisLane Posts: 94
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Our two smokers are on the lower back patio. Not covered, but just a few feet away from the covered section (up above is a covered screen porch).

We have had a fair number of rough storms come through this summer already, and when it is extremely windy w/ potential hail, we roll the smokers under the covered part of the deck for safety. Hot tub is under there- so can't leave them permanently - no room.

So- we are looking at all the pics of outdoor kitchens and nice wood (or stoen or brick etc) setups to start getting ideas. We have a large & now a small too. If we go the route of kind of locking them in place in a table / countertop - how much risk are we at for hail damage when it comes along once in a blue moon ? (i.e. - it may storm like that if we are away on vacation & not here to do anything to protect the grills).

Do you folks w/ uncovered outdoor setups worry about this ? Or does the hail just bounce off ? Our backyard is bordered by woods & protected greenspace, but so far downed branches large enough to cause a problem have never made it as far as the patio.

Comments

• RaleighGuy
    RaleighGuy Posts: 207
    Options
    Storms came through here early this past Monday morning. Egg was on the patio uncovered since I cooked on Sunday night, and didn't want to cover it until it cooled off. The sound of hail beating down on the patio for just a minute woke me up during the night, and I got worried about the egg. Woke up the next morning to check on it, and found about 5 small indentations on the dome. Nothing serious, but got me wondering about what would happen if larger size hail did fall. Around here, hail is rare and is usually between grape to golf ball size. I would venture to think that extremely large size hail could do some serious damage to an uncovered egg.

Eddie

Raleigh, NC

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Hail damage can be substantial. It can severely damage a car and can inflict enough damage to require a roof replacement on your home. Best would be some way to shield them from the weather..
  • probe1957
    probe1957 Posts: 222
    Options
    Personally, I don't worry about it. I pay an insurance premium every year and let the insurance company worry about hail damage.
  • schristian357
    Options
    As an insurance adjuster, I can safely say, normal sized hail will ot cause any damage at all to an Egg.

softball sized and larger, Maybe. but with hail that big, you will have other problems ot worry about.

Like was stated above why worry about it, that is what insurance is for...
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Hiya Lois,

As you'll see on the 4th my EGGs are outside and upfront and have endured at least 3 hail storms since May 15th. One of them had almost baseball size hail and I sat there and watched them shatter against the EGG, not even a scratch.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Sounds like you may need a roof though.:pinch:

Wish I were closer