Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pampano Recipes

Options
BBQBluesStringer
BBQBluesStringer Posts: 398
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A neighbor dropped 4 fresh-caught pampano on my doorstep last night, and I need some suggestions what to do with them. Anyone have any eggsperience with pampano on the grill?

Comments

• BBQBluesStringer
    Options
    BBQBluesStringer,
    Okay, so I can't spell. It's Pompano. ;-)

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    BBQBluesStringer,
    never had one before. ..how big are they? will a whole one fit in the egg? in which case you may want to stuff it with something grill it whole, or do you cut them into steaks or filets?. . .man when all else fails, olive oil and dizzy raging river grilled on a bed of sliced lemons oughta work. ..

• Greendriver
    Greendriver Posts: 128
    Options
    BBQBluesStringer, a long long time ago I ate at Brennens in New Orleans and my Uncle I believe had Pompano in a bag. I believe it was stuff but can't be sure. All I can say is to get you a nice recipe for Pompano and go to it...remembering that they just ain't much you can't do with your BGE.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome, good time as ever to ask...your reference to cooking on a bed of sliced lemons - is that for flavor or protection from burning. Does it work for flesh side only or will it do anything for the skin side of salmon for instance? tanks!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • BobinFla
    BobinFla Posts: 363
    Options
    BBQBluesStringer,[p]They are nasty, terrible and hardly fit for human consmption...[p]What time should I be over to pick them up and take them off of your hands?[p]BOB[p]Seriously...IIRC, they are a mild flavored fish with a delicate texture. I've never "egged" Pompano, but broiled I just used salt and pepper, and a little lemon juice after cooking.[p]I'd probably lightly sprinkle with Raging River or Tsunami Spin and grill over a HOT (450° maybe?) fire for about a minute per side. Like any other fish, don't over cook.[p]BOB
  • BobinFla
    BobinFla Posts: 363
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]I do like that "olive oil and dizzy raging river grilled on a bed of sliced lemons". [p]That's probably better than my other idea.[p]BOB