Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Other low-temp dangers...

Options
Trouble
Trouble Posts: 276
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The previous post about a <400 flare reminded me of Easter.
Two other things reminded me--I just finished the last of the ham & bean soup, and the skin on my hand is beginning to look normal. But I'm getting ahead of myself.[p]I had a drip pan filled with water and juice under my 11# ham. The cook went perfectly, dinner was over (delicious, I'm told), time for some final clean up. I went outside to get the rest of the tools and the drip pan. It was still in the egg. Checked the temp of the egg and it was about 300°. Safe, so I resumed yakking and didn't pay attention as I was opening the dome. The rush of steam shut me up and I dropped the dome shut from about 6". After 8 Advil and a few hours in the company of an icepack, I was able to get to sleep. Steam burns suck--and hurt a lot, too. Damage was confined mostly to my thumb and the meaty part of my hand just under my thumb.[p]Just another reason to be careful lifting the dome at all temps. The flash-prevention-method of lifting the lid an inch would not have prevented this. I'll be wearing gloves/mits now.[p]Later--
Trouble

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Trouble,
    i've gotten bad steam burns from opening the egg with 3 or 4 beer can chickens going. . ..when you have liquid cooking in the egg, that steam really builds up, and will definitely take the skin off your knuckles if you arent' careful. . .