Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with Country Ribs

Options
WooDoggies
WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
CountryRibs.jpg
<p />These have been marinating overnight and I want them to be ready before tonight's game..... problem is I can never tell the difference between fast-cook country ribs and slow-cook country ribs.
Can anyone tell me what these are and your cooking suggestions?[p]I'll be away from the computer until this afternoon.... so thanks in advance![p]Cuppa Joe,
John

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    CountryOnGrillStart.jpg
    <p />WooDoggies,
    I may be off this morning, and it is a bit tough to tell since you got 'em marinated up, but looks like the slow kind. The second from the right looks to have a pretty good chunk of loin meat, and ya might wanna pull that one sooner, but just a hunch. Personally I'd go 275 direct on a raised grate. They look a whole bunch like the ones I cooked for our recipe page. Once you get up over 150 or so I'd start checkin 'em for tenderness. Mine went to 170 or so if I remember correct.[p]Happy 8 oclock sunsets toya!
    Chris

[ul][li]Country ribs my way[/ul]
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Mr Doggies,[p]I would do as Nature Dewd said and throw them on a raised grill for a couple of hours. [p]Care to share what your overnight soaking was?[p]Brews,
    Matt.

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    Looks like country style ribs with the bone in. I use to do these direct untill Rumrunner advised to cook indirect low-n-slow. This is a shoulder cut of meat, lots of fat and flavor. They do well smoked with apple, maple, pecan woods. V rack with drip pan will help to keep them moist.[p]I do mine 275 dome,- if your pressed for game time go 325 dome, platesetter inverted, grid, pan on grid, a little water or beer in pan, smoke in the beginning and cook untill 170 internal. I remove the platesetter and finish the cook on a raised grid direct turning and mopping sauce for about 20 minutes. Very good without sauce too. Have fun!
    Clay

• Morning John,[p]I believe those country ribs are from the loin area and they look great. I feel that they can be cooked either fast or slow for great results but I prefer them cooked slow. I just cook them until they are tender but don't have any idea of what the internal temp might be. [p]I will include a picture of the country ribs that are cut out of a pork picnic or butt and I think you can see the difference. These ribs must be cooked slow.[p]29MVC-014S.jpg[p]Dave

• WooDoggies,[p]Usually when I buy them, I look to see where the bone is... If the bone is surrounded by meat, it is usually from the shoulder cut. If the bone is on the bottom, they are a loin back cut and shouldn't be cooked as long.[p]Judging by the look of the bone in these pictures, they look like from the shoulder cut... I would also throw a little more Dizzy Pig on there too. ;-)
  • Let's see here, John. You got conflicting information, from people whose advice I trust. Some say you have the country ribs cut from the loin and some say you have shoulder cut "ribs". How about I add to the confusion and give you my "advice"?????[p]Now keep in mind free advice is only worth what you paid for it and this opinion is that of a person who is extremely color blind, but due to the light coloration of the meat, and the shape of the visible bones, I would say you have country style ribs that were cut from the loin. It might be the lighting in the picture or the results of the marinade, but shoulder meat should be a lot darker than the meat in that picture.[p]I will agree with the rest of the advice you have received. Cook the low, slow and indirect. Check one of the ribs when they hit about 150 (or less), then test one of the ribs by taking a bite out of it. If the rib is easily chewed, it is a loin cut. If it is chewy as all get out, then you have shoulder cut and about another hour of cooking ahead of you. LOL[p]So have tried any of that Ommegang yet?[p]Ales,[p]Juggy

• db
    db Posts: 103
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    Look on the lower end of the two ribs on the right. There is
    a short, usually under two inches, curved bone that is the beginning if the rib section. I like to cook those on a med hot grill for about 1 hour.[p]

• Juggy D Beerman,[p]Really? I thought that looked like a bone from a butt... I did think the meat was light in color, that's why I thought he needed more Dizzy Pig... ;-)[p]Good luck this year with baseball Juggy!

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Scottie,
    I was thinkin maybe he put yogurt or buttermilk or sumthin that made it look light in color. But could be Juggy and db are actually seein' what is really going on. That one piece sure looks to have a big piece of loin on it.[p]I cook 'em direct either way, just a little hotter and faster if it is loiny....love that crust. And I'm withya on the need for more of whatever rub he be usin'! [p]Cheers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Rumrunner
    Rumrunner Posts: 563
    Options
    WooDoggies, little late but those are fast cook 'uns.