Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Basic Chicken Q Questions - Mechanics

Options
Dooms-Dave
Dooms-Dave Posts: 15
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have started with the basics on my new BGE, all is well at our house now. Now I'm ready (I think, maybe I just want to) to try something like the Brant's Brined Beer-Butt Bird. Problem is I need to understand some terminology. I bought the vertical roaster with my BGE. The recipe says "chicken sitter" which I thought was the vertical roaster, but then is says mix liquid in the sitter (so it must be a pan). But then it says put it on a drip pan (which I assume is just an empty pan to catch dripings). Ahggh![p]Is this arrangement a pan (sitter) in a (drip)pan?
Do I then put the vertical roaster on top of the top pan in the liquid?
Does the drip pan sit on bricks or the main grate?[p]Can someone draw me a picture (figuratively or litterally) of this and clarify the terminology. - (Maybe I'm too dazed and confused to get beyond the basics)[p]Thanks for your help (my kids will too once I do this right) for a struggling newbie.

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Dooms-Dave,[p]I've never used an additional drip pan for use with a vertical chicken sitter. My vertical roaster is a round pan about 8 inches round and an inch deep with a wire setup to put the bird on, the wire hooley cooley being about 6 inches tall. Not sure what yours looks like but this is the gist of most of them I've seen.[p]I have a medium egg and with my setup I take two firebricks, place them flat on the grate and put the chicken sitter (vertical roaster) on that. I sometimes put liquid in the pan portion, sometimes not. I've not noticed any big difference one way or another. Thats it.[p]Hope this helps, holler back if you need anything else and good luck with the chicken.[p]Troy
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    11_06_9915_38_04.jpg
    <p />Dooms-Dave, would you believe a beer can works just great and is just the right size. If you look between the chicken and the grate, you'll see the can. Hope this picture helps. These are other pictures at the link. Good luck - it will turn out perfect.

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • Chief
    Chief Posts: 154
    Options
    Dooms-Dave,
    Except for GFW gave you, I cook my chicken with the vertical roster and it takes only about 1 1/2 hrs at 300. If you don't have a Polder thermometer get one..it will save you lots of time and ensure the chicken is done to perfection.
    You're not going to believe how juicy the chicken will be.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    013s.jpg
    <p />Dooms-Dave,[p]Here is a picture of a chicken being done at Eggtoberfest99. You can see the little pan under the setter. The beer can works but sometimes tweety falls over.[p]Tim
  • Unknown
    Options
    Tim M, wait a minute...how is your egg so clean??? Was that a picture for some sale brochure? Mine as well as others showing picture here are dark from use. Clue me in cauz if momma kat sees that picture I'll be in deep you know what!

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Tim M, you just have to leave enough beer in the can to give the chicken a little balance - ya just can't empty the can first! Just kidding, have a great day![p]BTW - Nice picture.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    one feral kat,
    That was at the eggtoberfest last year. They were all brand new eggs!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Tim M, Dang that is a good picture. Now if you can visualize just a small grill sitting on top of that pan and then the sitter. Gets more heat and air circulation around da lower extreeeemities, and a more even cook.[p]Now then..a itsy bitsy Char-Woody secret. If you tend to your work, you can slip a beer can right inside of that nice wire sitter. You might scrinch the top a weee bit. but it fits.
    Otherwise, use a ceramic Willy Sitter.
    Cheers..C~W[p]