Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Almost A Year In Searching

Options
WeberWho
WeberWho Posts: 11,030
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
FINALLY FOUND A USED BIG GREEN EGG SPRING BAND!!!!!!!!!!!!

Talk about a needle in a haystack. Rehabbing an older egg I purchased last year. The egg is roughly 10-12 years old and needs some TLC. Not the biggest fan of the scissor style band. It was almost a workout trying to lift the lid up with the scissor band. Nothing was lined up correctly and seen some abuse from the first owner. My whole goal of the rehab project was keeping the price down. If you buy parts straight from the dealer without a warranty, you could almost buy a new mini or small in just parts alone. So I took the old scissor band apart and straightened it out. Tried to make it a little more functional. I even tossed it in the sandblaster to give her a new clean look. The air compressor started to act up halfway into the project. Fixed the air compressor but never got back into fixing the band. Just lost interest. I think my other egg spoiled me with it's spring band. Tried e-mailing a few people locally who had tipped their eggs thinking they might have the new spring style band. One threw it away and the other said that it was all twisted out of shape and couldn't be saved. Looked on E-Bay for the last 6-8 months with no luck. After checking E-Bay every few days, I finally found a used spring band! I wasn't going to loose this bid! So I put my bid in with 4 minutes left and crossed my fingers. 4 minutes, 3 minutes, 2 minutes, 1 minute, WINNER!!!! $52 shipped to my door. Pretty pumped this morning! I finally can put my egg together in a few weeks. Kind of sucks walking by a broken down egg everyday for the last year. Will post the final rehab pics in a few weeks with the breakdown of everything.
"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Congrats! Hope it works out for you.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Thanks loco_engr, Would have been much easier if I just wen't and bought one from a dealer. Pretty stubborn with the price I guess. Just hated the fact that I could buy a mini in the money spent on new dealer parts for the project. Also made into more of a fun challenging project!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    You are a patient person, WeberWho! Congrats!

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• WeberWho
    Options
    Thanks Botch. Would be waiting for the store to open the very next day for parts if this was the only egg I was using. Picked the egg up as a spare. Never imagined owning 2 large eggs for just the two of us at home. Have to love those impulse buys!

Minnesota