Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Emergency advice please...HELP

Options
IQthere4iam
IQthere4iam Posts: 106
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I put a bone in Boston Butt on last night @ 9pm to come off the egg this afternoon. I followed the 2 hours per pound @ 250 degrees (8.75 lb butt). Using a DigiQ to control temp.

I woke up this am and the alarm on DigiQ was going off and said that it was done. I double checked temp and it was 200ish.

Here is my question: How do I keep it moist and delicious for a BBQ at 5pm? It is sitting in4 layers of foil and wrapped on towels in a cooler.

is 2 hours PP wrong?

Thanks
Steve

Comments

• jerryp
    jerryp Posts: 232
    Options
    I've found that 1.5 hours per pound is pretty good. Sometimes the plateau stretches out a bit longer for a few I've done, adding an extra hour, but 1.5 seems to work for me.
  • revinit
    revinit Posts: 5
    Options
    That's a long time in the cooler. 4-5 hours is max for me. I would pull it and put it in the fridge then reheat it later. I actually prefer to pull, sauce, and reheat on the egg with a little more smoke.
  • FrankC
    FrankC Posts: 416
    Options
    Put your temp probe in it and watch the temp while it's in the cooler. Once it goes below 140, you've got about 4 hours left to serve.

Make your decision from there. If it goes below 140 before 1pm, put it in the oven, wrapped up, at the lowest temp your oven will go. My home oven will go as low as 170.

Just my thoughts...good luck!

fc
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    I would not pull it, rather pop it in the oven set at 170. Make Sure you put it on a cookie sheet or something as it may drip some pork love juices.

Then drop it in the cooler an hour or so before you want to pull it.

Good luck,
  • IQthere4iam
    Options
    That wont dry it out sitting in the oven all day at 170?
  • StratoEgg
    StratoEgg Posts: 81
    Options
    Good Morning. Some folks use 2 hrs pp at 250 or 1 1/2 hrs ppd at approximately 225. On an occasion you will just get Turbo Pork Butt that is done right at that 1 1/2 hr or a little sooner ...all technique only. But beware of Turbo Butt!! Also be aware that if you cook at a slightly lower temp such as 225 it just takes longer to cook up to those close done temps...ie 195 or 200.

Speaking of Turbo Butt and I was in the exact same predicament you are in now a few weeks ago with a lunch. Set your oven at 170 degrees and put your wrapped butt in for a few hrs. This keeps your butt from cooking anymore. Then transition back to your wrapped butt in a towel and cooler. In my case the pulled pork was just as juicy.

Good Luck,

Al
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I haven't actually had to do the oven trick, but I would think if it is wrapped nice and tight in foil it will stay nice and moist inside. You could always put a little liquid in the foil to make sure ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Foil wrapped in a cooler, under towels, with jars of hot water beside it, the butt will probably be above 160 still at noon.

The fall back I would recommend, if you can do it, is to pull it once it drops below 150. Put in sealable plastic bags, and drop as much as possible in a warm slow cooker that is holding at least 140 F. Mine are old, but the keep warm setting on one holds at 145, and the low setting on the other reaches about 180, meaning it has to be cycled on and off. That way the meat will stay almost as fresh as when pulled. No worries about drying out, and flavor will continue to melt thru the shreds.

Another strategy is to pull it, and dump it straight into the slow cooker with just enough coke to keep it warm.
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    IQthere4iam wrote:
    That wont dry it out sitting in the oven all day at 170?

If you have it well wrapped in foil, it will not dry out....done it a few times. Feel free to move it to a cooler 3-4 hours before serving. You'll stay safe no problem.

Honeslty,

I avoid this concern now with a Yeti cooler. Have kept them wrapped in foil/towels in the Yeti for six hours or more without dropping more than 15-20 degrees.
  • IQthere4iam
    Options
    Big Thanks everyone!!

I have opted for the tight wrap of foil and oven at 170.

I was worried I might have ruined it this moring when I posted and that would have been bad as I have been talking it up all week.

Only draw back now is that I have to smell it all day and try not touch it before everyone gets here :whistle:

Again thanks for you eggie wisdom...(yes eggie is a word)

Steve
  • IQthere4iam
    Options
    Thanks again!

Followed the oven @ 170, cooler an hour and half before pull. It came out perfect and the raves over my pulled pork and spatchocked/ chopped chicken were great. All night long people were talking about it.

Could'nt have done it with out you.

Steve