Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fast thaw

Options
Willie Lump Lump
Willie Lump Lump Posts: 229
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Link:http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/08/dining/a-hot-water-bath-for-thawing-meats-the-curious-cook.html?_r=1
this is from my favorite food writer Harold McGee. Very much worth a look for a technique when dinner wasn't planned the day before and you need to thaw something fast.
TTFN WLL

Comments

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    I like toys and gadgets :ermm: but I don't think I'll consider this:

"Quick-thawing is easy to adopt in the home kitchen. But don’t expect your thaw times to match the lab times I’ve quoted unless you have an immersion circulator or another method to keep the water in motion and at a constant temperature."
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • srq2625
    srq2625 Posts: 262
    Options
    Not news to me. The DW and I have been doing this for 30 or more years.

Run the tap until the water get warm. Fill the second sink about 1/3 and toss the vacumn packed meat of choice into the water. Come back in 15 to 20 minutes. Start cooking.

We have yet to suffer any ill effects from this practice.
  • BananaChipz
    BananaChipz Posts: 207
    Options
    All the water really needs is a small amount of circulation.

If you put the meat in say a bucket or big bowl in the sink, and have the water trickle into it, it will create enough circulation to assist the thaw..
  • guzzijason
    guzzijason Posts: 143
    Options
    I've been doing this for quite some time (maybe picked it up from Alton Brown?) and it's amazing how well it works - even with cold water, which is what I use. Its good to know that people aren't dying from using warmer water... maybe I'll bump my temp up next time.

I actually had to use this "convection thawing" trick a few years back when I picked up a box of ribs from a local wholesaler, only to find that they were frozen solid. I needed them thawed quick so they would be ready for a party we were having, so I put all the (vacuum sealed) ribs into a cooler, placed the cooler in my bathtub, filled it with cold water, and then let a stream of cold water continue to run over them. I think my dozen rock-hard racks of ribs were completely thawed in maybe a couple hours.

__Jason