Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

lighting an egg for smoking, etc.

Options
biggreenmatt
biggreenmatt Posts: 67
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Gentlepeeps:

New large egg owner (bought it last week) and new member to the forums who's struggling on the ovoid learning curve.

My question: when lighting an egg for smoking, should you be focused on the coals or the temperature, i.e.: do you stop the heat when you reach the right temp or get a good number of coals lit before bringing the temp down? Let me explain.

Tried smoking some salmon this past weekend. Lit the coals in the ordinary fashion- topped up with coal firelighters, lid and vents open all the way for 8 minutes- and when I closed the lid to adjust, the temp was already past 400. Nuts. Closed the vents most of the way- temp still rising. Closed the vents fully and the coals went out. Lit it again, waited for a good number of coals to light up, but then when I brought the temp down, I couldn't get it lower than 275ish.

I want to do a lot of smoking this summer, but I'm having trouble getting off the ground. Replies appreciated!

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    anyone just starting out really needs to catch the temps on the way up. if it gets too hot for too long it takes forever to get the temps back down. how low were you shooting for
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • biggreenmatt
    Options
    Okay, then.

So for smoking purposes, is it better to light it with vents open, lid closed, get the egg to 200, throw on the wood chips and control the temp as it rises?

And speaking of which, is there an FAQ section of the forums that I haven't seen yet?

Thanks, guys!
  • fishlessman
    Options
    grandpagrubs vent tutorial is a good starting place, i usually light and get it to around 200 for a low and slow, then tune in my temps with small adjustments. after a few cooks at low temps you wont even think about it anymore. most cooks you see on this site are done by dome temps, the temps at the grill are lower if your using an indirect setup. get a second gage to monitor temps at the grill level, most here use a wireless maverick et73 or the newer maverick et 732. once temps are close you make tiny adjustments to fine tune temps and dont get concerned if your shooting for 250 and it wants to hang at 240, its close enough.
    fukahwee maine

• SheepDog
    SheepDog Posts: 176
    Options
    No expert, just a very lucky newbie! But during my light ups I leave the lid open using the electric lighter for 7 minutes. Pull the lighter and set the vents then for what I think I will need. All of the coals don't have to be lit to start cooking. Just my 2 cents!
  • fishlessman
    Options
    in seven minutes i can get to 700 degrees with napkin and oil but try and get down to 235 :laugh: its much easier catching temps on the way up ;)
    fukahwee maine

• FSM-Meatball
    FSM-Meatball Posts: 215
    Options
    Here is what I do-

Assuming a long, low and slow like a Pork Butt (12+ hours).

I fill the bottom of the firebox with the biggest chunks of lump I can find, then pile some smaller ones on top, staying away from anything under 2". I load it to the top of the firebox. Add a few wood chunks on top of that lump. I then load a chimney starter about 1/2-3/4 to the top with medium sized lumps. Light that (i use oiled napkin) and after about 15-20 min, dump it on top. The vents are wide open.

Close the lid and see what the temp is, for me its usually about 150. It will rise quickly. Around 200, start closing the vents and control the temp until you land on your desired temp (assuming 225-250). Put in the platesetter, grate and drip pan. Monitor and change the vents as necessary to stabilize the temp.

Place food and cook.

Most people like to use wood chunks for smoke and some will place them throughout the lump, not just on top. The chips seem to burn up much faster.
  • SheepDog
    SheepDog Posts: 176
    Options
    fishlessman wrote:
    in seven minutes i can get to 700 degrees with napkin and oil but try and get down to 235 :laugh: its much easier catching temps on the way up ;)

That's why I said an electric starter fishlessman, would be quit the challenge using an electric starter.

What's important is no matter how to start, you need to control the temps right away.

On another note fishlessman, went out and slayed the bows yesterday. A friend did manage to bring a brown to hand. ;)
  • fishlessman
    Options
    the fish are really starting to bite :) love catching the bows, the brown would have been in the pan :woohoo:
    fukahwee maine

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I was out talking to a salesman at our local BGE dealer this morning and this subject came up. He said for a low and slow, he will load up the lump and any smoking wood he is using. Then he puts one BGE firestarter in the middle of the lump and lights up. It does take a little bit longer to get up to heat, but very easy to catch at target heat and not have to cool back down.
    Makes sense to me..................

:cheer:
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Dnorman
    Dnorman Posts: 117
    Options
    I catch mine on the way up. I load my fire box to the mbottom of the fire ring. hit it for a few with my Propalean torch close the lid, leave top off and have draft door all the way open. When it gets to my target temp (200-250) i put the DFMT on, close the daisy wheel half way (for the 200) and close draft door about the width of my pinky (its fat)
    and that gets me good.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    One more:

If using indirect heat for low/slow:

Fill chimney starter 1/2-2/3, throw under 2 pieces of news print (the stuff they use to pack moving boxes without print - I have an abundance after my last move) and light. In 7-8 minutes, I have a roaring chimney. Next I dump it at the back of the firebox and cover with more, not to cross the center line and add soaked wood chips as necessary. At present, I have not invested in the PS, but will be soon.

Close the lid, set the top to barely open and lower vent at approximately 1 inch and monitor for the first hour, after that I do whatever monitoring occasionally.