Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first cook is done!

Options
Charles in SC
Charles in SC Posts: 142
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As a follow up about my first cook since getting my egg home from Ocala this is the results.
I did not post a picture cause I figure most here know what pulled pork looks like.
I rubbed the butt with a light dusting of Toney Chachere's Creole Seasoning amd a heavy coat of DrBBQ's Bonesmoker rub.
Put it in the egg at 7:00 pm with a dome temp indicated 250.
It was fine so I went to bed at 10:30. At 7:00 am I determined it had gone out so I dropped some fire starter things around the platesetter and went to the Waffle House for breakfast. When I returned at 9:30 am the temp was about 450 so I closed the vents and brought it down and after some tinkering was able to nail it between 200 and 400 the rest of the day, the butt hit 190 internal at 5:00 pm for a 22 hour cook. It was one of my best butts ever so I will try to repeat it next time the same way.
Some things I learned for your first cook :[p]Use a rub that does not burn easy.
Do not give up.
Stay well hydrated (the cook).