Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spicy Pineapple Glazed Ham

Options
Greendriver
Greendriver Posts: 128
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This is a great recipe and I would highly recommend it. The only pic with the glaze on it is the where you see the jalapenos and that pic doesn’t do justice to the recipe just because I didn’t do the glaze just right. I didn’t puree enough and the fact that it was too coarse meant it couldn’t be brushed on, so we got it too thick but the flavor wasn’t harmed. One other thing I screwed up but you can’t tell by looking is: no smoke, I completely forgot to add wood. Had plenty of pecan and I think that would have been a nice addition and if doing again would use quite a bit. Also I used Tony Chacheres Praline, Honey Ham injectable marinade which I injected the night before (6:30pm) and started the cook at about 4pm next day with the temps as per the recipe. Since the recipe was for a fully cooked and this ham was “smoked ready to cook” I just extended the cooking time until the ham reached 168 then continued following the temps and time for the glaze (total 6 hrs) Since I didn’t understand what a the purpose of the parchment paper was for, I just omitted it. Let sit wrapped for 1 hr and refridgerated overnight and put in oven at 350 for one hour till warm. The gravy was absolutely to die for, you’d just have to try this before you could ever imagine how good it was. [p]Spicy Pineapple Glazed Ham
· One 16- to 18-pound smoked ham on the bone, with skin (see Note)
· One 4 1/2-pound pineapple—peeled, halved crosswise and cored, 1 half sliced crosswise 1/3 inch thick and 1 half coarsely chopped
· 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
· 2 bay leaves
· 2 cups dry Marsala
· 2 cups dry Riesling
· 2 cups water
· 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
· 1/4 cup whole-grain mustard
· 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
· 2 large jalapeños, sliced crosswise 1/8 inch thick, seeds discarded [p]1. Preheat the oven to 450°. Cut off the ham skin, leaving a thick layer of fat. Lightly score the fat in a diamond pattern. Arrange the pineapple rings in a roasting pan. Add the onions, bay leaves, Marsala, Riesling, water and nutmeg. Set the ham on top, fat side up. Cover with parchment paper, then tightly cover the pan with foil. Bake the ham for 40 minutes. Turn the oven to 325° and bake for 2 hours and 30 minutes longer, or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part without touching the bone registers 120°.
2. Meanwhile, in a food processor, puree the chopped pineapple, then blend with the mustards.
3. Remove the ham from the oven. Turn the oven to 400°. Spread the pineapple mustard all over the ham and arrange the jalapeño rings on top in even rows. Bake the ham for 15 minutes, or until nicely browned. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, strain the pan juices into a saucepan and boil over high heat until reduced to 3 cups, about 20 minutes. Skim off the fat and pour the juices into a warmed gravy boat. Carve the ham in thin slices and serve with the pan juices.[p]IMAG0337.jpg[p]IMAG0338.jpg[p]IMAG0339.jpg[p]IMAG0340.jpg[p]IMAG0342.jpg