Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pingin' Grampaws Grub

Options
transversal
transversal Posts: 719
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Grampaw....what's all this I'm hearin about hot tubbin steaks? Would you fly the reference site over to me so I can learn sumpm? Thanks podner. I'll be puttin on my trunks while I'm waitin.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    He is probably shoveling snow to get to his eggs.
    When I hot tub I make sure they are well wrapped and toss them into the spa @101F for 45-60 minutes. Steaks usually come out around 85F.
    This allows me to cook 500-550F and sear the outside and the inside is partially to temp from the spa. Others place in a container with tap hot water around 105F or so and leave in container for an hour or so changing the water a few times to keep to temp.
  • transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    Options
    Richard, is the intenetion to get the steak partially cooked in the center so that all ya gotta do is sear the external to finish it up?
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    The goal is to have the internal temp of the meat around 85 or so rather than 45-65 from frig to counter for an hour or so. When you cook the steak you then do not have to leave it in the fire longer to get the internal temp up to 125-130 wherever you want it.
    IMHO this helps keep the steak from drying out when cooking.
    Recently I have been doing them on a Himalayan salt block and very moist meat results; beef, pork, lamb, scallops and even chix breasts.

RIBEYECOOKINGDSCN0572.jpg

DSCN0910_00.jpg
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Yes, it did snow in the mountains. Been raining all afternoon and night and only 48°. It sure is green out here and ought to set us up for some wild fires in the late summer or fall (if those ever get here).

Hot-tubbing steak, never tried it.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Sorry I've never hot-gubb'd a steak before.

I would think there are some information in the forum recipe section and plenty with a search on the forum.

And, Richard has you covered in h8is response.

GG