Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

tach18k-I got my beef ribs-now what anyone?

Options
Car Wash Mike
Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
beefribs1.jpg
<p />Picked up a small package of beef ribs at Sam's this morning. Now what? I'm thinking 225-250 just like babybacks. The 3-1 1/2-45 minute method that I like. Mustard them up and get them spun real well and cook.
I'm also doing a slab of babybacks, it has been 10 days, so I would like to have both done at the same time.[p]Mike

Comments

• Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,[p]I'd go indirect all the way through, there's way too much fat to require foil, you want to render as much as you can. Those are some fine looking ribs man, enjoy. [p]Cheers,
    C~Q

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    422b17b5.jpg
    <p />Car Wash Mike,[p]I can usually get the slabs, but I prepare them similar to pork ribs: Peel the membrane, trim if needed, no-sugar rub, mustard, a little more rub. I have to go about 5 or 6 hours at 225* grate. I sometimes foil for 45 minutes (with some of the mop), then back on the grill to set them. After about 2 1/2 hours, I mop with apple juice & cider vinegar every hour. If anyone wants theirs sauced, I wait until the last 15 minutes of cook time, otherwise I serve 'em dry.[p]
    e6a9879c.jpg[p]This rub is a good place to start:
    Yum Yum Rub
    4 tablespoons non-iodized table salt
    2 tablespoons paprika
    1 tablespoon black pepper, coarsely ground
    1-1/2 teaspoons onion powder
    1-1/2 teaspoons granulated garlic powder
    1-1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
    1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
    1/2 teaspoon turmeric[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,[p]Like the others said....I've always had to go longer with thoes Fred Flinstone Ribs!![p]I like'm with a Raspberry chipotle glaze at the end!![p]MMM......MMMMMM!![p]Chubby
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    Mine were in for 5 hours including saucing. Then I kept them warm in foil and cooler for an hour or so. I would stop at 4.5 hours. I did a straight cook at 250, no wraping no turning.
    Did over a plate setter.

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    tach18k,
    I did a rub also, special blend of Durkee Grill Selections.