Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Loin - cut before or after

Options
BillT
BillT Posts: 61
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am going to fix pork loin for supper tonight. I have intended to cut the loin into thick 1 1/2 inch thick "chops" and then cook. Then I had this flash; should I cook the loin whole and then cut? [p]Any thoughts or experience? I do not plan to stuff the loin, just make old fashion pork "chops".[p]Thanks in advance for the input.[p]BillT

Comments

• Martini Mark in PTC
    Options
    BillT,
    If you want the nice sear/grill marks on them all then you need to cut & individually season. However, the advantage to doing the whole loin & then cutting, in my experience, is you can cook it low & slow with some apple chunks. Then get the temp internal to the meat to about 145 or so & then take off, rest for 5-10 minutes, slice & they will be the most juicy chops that you have ever seen. Depends upon how you want to 'present' your dinner tonight, I suppose. Traditional grilled or untraditional juicy? Only you can answer. Both are great on the egg....

• MasterMason
    MasterMason Posts: 243
    Options
    Martini Mark in MSP,[p]How would this work. You could cook the whole roast to a slightly less than done state, then slice it and sear it for a very short period? Outback steak house does that with prime rib and it is stupendious.
  • BillT
    BillT Posts: 61
    Options
    MasterMason,[p]I hadn't thought of that variation. This is probably the way I will go. Do a low and slow whole loin with lots of smoke and rub to give outstanding flavor. Then while I am cutting into "chops" let the grill get hot and give a final sear.[p]That is what is so great about the this forum. You start with a good idea and others help make it great.[p]Thanks all.[p]BillT