Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket on BGE

Options
brenkj
brenkj Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm doing my first brisket on my XL BGE this weekend. Actually, I'm going to do two briskets - one whole brisket (about 12lbs) on the main grid, and one brisket flat (hopefully about 8 lbs) on the extension grid. I just have a couple of questions for the brain trust:

What should I expect in terms of a difference in grid temp between the main grid and the extension grid? I've read that the main grid is about 25 degrees cooler than the dome thermometer, so I'm guessing maybe a 10 degree difference between main grid and extension grid?

Can I expect the flat to cook at about the same rate as the whole brisket (1 to 1.5 hrs./lb)?

To foil or not to foil? Whenever I've cooked brisket on my Weber, I've always foiled about halfway through the smoke, so as to keep the brisket moist. But I think that has kept me from getting a decent bark. What do you guys recommend for the BGE?

Thanks for all the wisdom.

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    HI :) There are a lot of good brisket posts lately so there is a lot of good reading there. I do not have an XL but I think you are over thinking this. I never stress over a few degrees either way so think that between the two grids it is not going to ruin anything with that small of a diff. I have done indirect low and slow and direct med high and have found I am pretty happy with the direct, med high.
    the egg naturally keeps things moist, very diff from other grills that way, but most do foil their briskets for added moisture and cooking. if you just put brisket in the search box you will have 100 diff answers :) try one and keep some notes and go from there :) good luck and let us know what you do and how you like it! Julie
  • danshotspot
    danshotspot Posts: 10
    Options
    Check out:
    http://bubbatim.com/Bubba_s_Brisket.php

Just did a 8lb. flat for the first time this past weekend with this recipe and it was awesome! It took 9 hours. Only thing I did different was I didn't baste until about 7 hours in only because I forgot. I am planning to do another this weekend the same way but gonna start basting earlier.

Also use my own Au Jus recipe, let me know if you are interested. It beats the hell out of any store bought package.

Good luck