Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

My butts are stuck at 177*

Hammond1Hammond1 Posts: 31
edited 12:51PM in EggHead Forum
16 hours in. Dammit...I am hungry. Just venting a bit. I may crank it to 265 or 270 to try and shove it over the plateau.

Comments

• PhilsGrillPhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Go ahead to speed it up! Won't hurt a thing and will get done faster!
  • Hammond1Hammond1 Posts: 31
    Yeah...I pushed it to 255. I just HATE HATE HATE doing that. I am religious about staying 220 or under.
  • CrimsongatorCrimsongator Posts: 5,789
    Double wrap them in foil and bump the temp. They will finish quick.
  • Austin SmokerAustin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Hammond1 wrote:
    Yeah...I pushed it to 255. I just HATE HATE HATE doing that. I am religious about staying 220 or under.

220 grid or dome? In the egg, given it's moisture retaining properties, I can honestly say I can't tell the difference in a pork butt when cooked at 225 dome vs. 250 dome, and 250 speeds things up quite a bit.

But regardless, if they've been on 16 hours, bumping things up now aint gonna do any harm. Good luck!
    that is dome temp. Maverick ET73. Just gained a degree. Hovering at 178 meat temp with 270 dome.
    Woooooooo! 179.
    180!
  • SuperDaveSuperDave Posts: 319
    Plateau... they'll be fine. Just watch the temp gauge and maintain at 230 to 250º and they will take off for 195º eventually. Plateau is when all the collagen in the meat is breaking down. When it dissolves and melts the temp will climb.
    285* dome.....meat just hit 185*. I'll let her hang here for a bit. Just put some Jalapeno poppers in the oven. They need 30 mins or so. Meat should be ready by then.
    188..... come on baby, come on!
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Typical and as it should be. The plateau is where the magic happens.

If you bump temperature watch the bark. If it looks like it is developing too much then loosely tent the butt(s). If you wrap you will end up steaming the cook and most likely the bark will soften, which you may or may not like.

I have been pressed for time, most of the cook was 250° dome than I bumped to 350° then 400° about o30 minutes later. No foil and the cook came out great.

GG
  • RauchbierRauchbier Posts: 24
    Boy can I relate! I have two 8.5 lb butts on that have been going for almost 19 hours now! They stayed at 165 for several hours and are just now inching up slowly. Folks are getting hungry... Good luck!
    Expand you horizon, try a butt at 275. It will taste the same and cook in half the time.
    too much bark....yeah right