Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

bratwurst

Options
Peanut
Peanut Posts: 75
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got some fresh ones but not sure how to proceed. I remember someone telling me to cook in beer (for how long?) and then on the Egg. Help! Thanks.
Ninfa

Comments

• Sandbagger
    Sandbagger Posts: 977
    Options
    Peanut, I am sitting here with my mom, a Wisconsinite all 85 years of her life. I just asked her how long she has done brats with or without beer. She related the time to a house she lived in. That puts it late 1940s. She said cook the brats and then if necessary, to keep them warm, simmer in beer with onions. As a hungry kid, I remember this method since the 1970s, a great way to keep them warm and moist throughout a summer afternoon family outing/picnic. A turkey roaster always worked great. Anyway, if you want to eat them right away, simply cook them like you would a well done hamburger, watch for flame ups and pull them when the juice runs clear. Just remember, the hotter the fire, the better the chance of burning them. You can't turn them to often. Tom
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Peanut,
    I always do Brats at around 250° for about 30 to 45 minutes, sometimes more depending. [p]I redid the gasket yesterday and used a 250° fire to cure the glue. I dropped 5 brats on and every 20 to 30 minutes I would go move them around and roll them, and after about an hour they were scalding hot and exploding boiling juice with every bite.