Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Flat Question

kricks
kricks Posts: 244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got hungry for brisket so I picked up a flat at Costco's today. It is 6.25 pounds. I've never made a brisket of any kind so I'd like to run my plan by the eggsperts.

Going to rub it down tonight, cover with wrap and put it in the fridge. Tomorrow morning about 6:00, start the egg, let it settle at 225 - 250. Brisket on, fat side up, platesetter legs up.

Let it go till about 2ish depending on internal temp (165?). Wrap in foil and then let it go until 6ish. Let sit an hour, still in foil, wrapped in a towel or two.

Serve and enjoy. Sound plausible? That should give me 10 hours or so.

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    I would cut your cook time. A 6lb flat should not take more than 6 hours to cook. A whole packer takes 1-1.5 hrs/lb. If you put it on at 6AM, it might be done just after lunch. I like the idea of foiling it at 165, you also might add beef broth to the foil to help with the moisture. A flat just doesn't have the fat content of a packer.
  • Holy Smokes
    Holy Smokes Posts: 30
    I've made about 100 briskets with my charbroil offset box smoker. I made my first one on the egg on Sunday. I had less than stellar results.

MY Problem is I can't get my egg to cook that low for any length of time without the fire going out completly.

By the time I got mine cooked it was tough, and not very juicy at all. I may ditch the egg for brisket and go back to my offset box smoker.

If you're going to insist on trying it on the egg, I would put a round foil pan in the platesetter and fill with water to help keep the moisture level up.

Also, don't forget to wrap the edge of your grill with foil to avoid any direct flame contact.

BTW I the brisket I cooked was a 7.5 lb flat cut from Costco as well, and this is the first flat cut I've ever done, previously I've always done packer cuts.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Like I said, flats tend to dry out and need help. As for adding a water pan, it is not necessary. The egg retains enough moisture. You could foil the flat at 165 and add some beef broth to help with flavor and to keep it from getting too dry.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    You can't compare a flat on one cooker to 100 packers on another cooker. There is no comparison.

Don't give up on the egg until you do a whole packer - and ditch the water pan. You don't need it.

At 250* you shouldn't have any direct flame contact to be concerned about.
  • kricks
    Thanks for the replies. I asked because I know a flat is problematic. Given what I've seen so far, I'll start it a little later, keep it at 225 if I can, and add some broth. I'll let you know how it turns out. I'll also check back in the morning for any other advice.

FWIW... did some pork chops tonight. Used Thirdeye's quickbrine ( used my last Dizzy Dust). Eight minutes direct at 425 and 10 minutes indirect. Only 1 inch thick and fabulous!!!!
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    A foil finish is an option that many folks use on a flat. Since this is your first brisket, it's important that you get a feel for the proper tenderness (texture), because if you don't, you won't know what to shoot for. Flavor is important too, but at this point in time tenderness is paramount.... but we'll put some flavor in it as well. Later on, you can balance out everything.

Your seasoning and holding overnight in the fridge is just fine. When you flavor smoke it tomorrow try to keep the pit as close to 200° as you can for a couple of hours. Platesetter legs up, foil or drip pan, grate, and brisket fat side DOWN.

Next, remove the brisket and refresh your seasoning (because the time in the foil will dull some of the rub flavors) and I like to add some celery salt at this point, but that's up to the profile of your rub.

Then, lay it on a double piece of foil with the fat side UP. Take another double layer of foil and lay over it and seal three of the edges tight. Add a couple of ounces of jazzed up beef broth and seal the 4th side. The brisket goes into a 275° oven for 3 to 3-1/2 hours. When the timer goes off, remove the brisket, open the top only and probe for tenderness, and if you like it.... close the foil and rest for a minimum of 30 minutes. After resting, open the foil and drain the juices into a measuring cup. Save them for dunking. (If you don't like the tenderness, re-seal and cook for another 40 minutes and check again.)

Before slicing, if you want to crisp up that fat, put it back in the oven under the broiler for a couple of minutes.

For slicing, cut against the grain. If it’s really tender, make thicker slices.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • kricks
    Seeing thirdeye's post seemed like a voice from the skies... real old testament kind of thing... So I'm taking his and Crimsongator's advice. The brisket is on... running at 200 and smoking nicely, fat side down at the moment. Using mesquite. I have a little bit of demi-glace concentrate, going to add it to the beef broth for "dimension".