Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mulligatawny

cookn biker
cookn biker Posts: 13,407
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First, I've never heard of this. Is it a stew or a soup. It is listed as both on some recipe sites. Some call for mace others don't. The ones that don't call for cinnimon and nutmeg. All have curry.
Thanks for your thoughts and knowledge.
Molly
Colorado Springs
"Loney Queen"
"Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Molly,

It can be a soup or a stew. It is Indian in origin and if you have it in an Indian place it is a gravy, or stew. Soup in the UK and Ireland. Mace is the flower of the nutmeg plant and they are similar in flavour but mace is milder so use less nutmeg and you will be OK.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Cool, thanks Steven.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • TRPIV
    TRPIV Posts: 278
    I've had it as a soup, and it's delicious. At Little Steven says, it's often credited to have an Indian origin. That said, I have friends who live in Bangalore, and they've never herd of it. Maybe it has a common name in India.

If you try it, please post results and a recipe.

T
  • dugdbug
    dugdbug Posts: 244
    Isn't Bangalore in Maine?
  • Little Steven
    TRPIV

I think it is Anglicised. Cooking in India varies greatly by region as well.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    No, it is in Wales B)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    I think your are thinking Bangor, Maine.
    canuckland
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Dayum Molly . . . I not sure I can even pronounce it!
    :laugh: :laugh:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • TRPIV
    TRPIV Posts: 278
    loco_engr wrote:
    Dayum Molly . . . I not sure I can even pronounce it!
    :laugh: :laugh:

NO SOUP FOR YOU!!! :laugh: