Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small Questions

Options
BillT
BillT Posts: 61
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have owned a large for about 4 years and about a year and a half ago got the chance to buy a small. I haven’t used the small much but can’t seem to get the small up to temperatures. If I am lucky and am really patient I can get the small up to 400 but that is only with luck. I can always get 300 but not much more. My large can do about any temperature I want and I am fairly accomplished with it.[p]The small doesn’t seem to have a very big air intake on the bottom, but I have clearly lined up the air intake. Is there something that I am missing? I read about searing on the small and I can only warm! [p]Any advice would be welcome.[p]BillT

Comments

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    BillT,
    give it a boost using a little fan, once you pass up 400 degrees it really starts climbing, thats if your putting enough lump to start with. HTH

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    BillT,
    Sounds like air is restricted. Try this- Clean out the small and replace with fresh, dry lump. Large pieces on the bottom, next medium pieces and then small pieces of lump on top to fill the fire ring. The idea is to keep small pieces of lump from restricting the flow of incoming air. [p]Be sure that all bottom holes are free and clear when cleaning. Hope this works. [p]

• katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Options
    BillT,
    I added a small to my collection about a year ago. I think you do need to give a bit more attention to air flow and the amount of lump being used to achieve high temps. I use the little guy for shorter cooks frequently, which means I'm frequently just relighting leftover lump. Tends to clog the holes and air flow is restricted. So, I tend to move the old stuff to the side and make sure some larger pieces are on the bottom.

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    BillT,
    BGE now has a metal lump grate that may give you more airflow and that"might" help. I have seen it posted that the small takes a little longer but you should get at least 500 out of it. This information based only on what I have read here, the small is the only egg I don't have,YET. LOL[p]Good Luck,
    New Bob

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    BillT,
    Add this to my thoughts, is your lump fresh??? I had trouble with my Miss Mini and the main problem was the brand of lump I was using. Recently I had trouble with two of the cookers, the lump had gotten slightly damp from the moisture in the morning air, my bags were closed but still managed to pull in some or the wet stuff. Just a thought.[p]Good Luck,
    New Bob