Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Info For Cooking Baby Back Ribs

Options
Mark
Mark Posts: 295
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I burnt my last attempt at baby back ribs and am ready to try again. I would like to know any suggestions for cooking times and temps as well as how to add BBQ. I have platesetter and rack. Thanks Mark

Comments

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Mark,[p]I've had success using the 3-2-.5 method employing the K.I.S.S. theory.[p]first, 250 degrees indirect for 3 hours, flipping every 45 minutes.[p]second, cut slabs in half, put in 4-inch deep disposable aluminum drip pan, cover with foil, and cook at 250 indirect for two hours.[p]third, direct for 30 minutes, sauce one side, put that side down, then sauce the top side, flip after 10 or 15 minutes (if you can).[p]If you like them a little snugger, shorten the foiled period in the middle. I like mine fall off the bone, and this gets that done.[p]HTH
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning Mark:[p]see my post from below about the ribs I did this weekend.[p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay

[ul][li]more ribs[/ul]

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Mark
    Mark Posts: 295
    Options
    SSN686, I saw that but the cooking temps going from 190 to 260 being a newbee I am unsure for what that means. Could you shed some light for me. Thanks Mark

• jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    Mark,
    This may seem a little out of the norm but I have found an alternative to the low and slow cooking of baby backs.
    I use the inverted platesetter, drip pan. But here is where it gets weird. I cook them at 350 for about an hour and a half during the cooking time I spray them regularly with apple juice. The low and slow method is fine but with the tenderness of baby backs this works just as good. Also the 350 temp in my opinion is very easy to maintain by having the bottom vent completely open and the small holes on the daisy wheel completely open.

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning Mark:[p]What I mean by "dome temps going from 190 to 260" is that I had stabilized the egg at about 220 dome before I put all of those ribs in. Once all of that cold meat was added to the egg the dome temp dropped to about 190, I did not change any of my vent settings (top or bottom) and over the course of teh next 4+ hours that the ribs smoked, the dome temp rose slowly such that it was about 260 when I removed the ribs for serving. I hope that helps.[p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL