Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

hi temp clean

pcipci Posts: 249
edited 7:00AM in EggHead Forum
How much lump do you need for a hi temp clean? I have lump to top of fire box & not getting over 400.

• CrimsongatorCrimsongator Posts: 5,791
    If you have that much lit an the egg wide open, then it sounds like an air flow issue. You should be able to get over 700' easily with that much lump.
  • Jupiter JimJupiter Jim Posts: 2,302
    Fill it to the top of the fire ring and take the top dazy off and open the bottom damper all the way. Take a wiggle rod and clear the holes in the fire grate and watch your gasket melt away. That is how you do it.
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    Ha! If that dragon breaths out the bottom you won't have to shave your legs for a while. :woohoo:
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,600
    Sounds like you have an airflow problem.When I clean burn,I clean out all the ashes and load her up to the top of the firering and let her rip til it's all gone.No top and bottom wide open.That will usually get rid of those pesky,useless gaskets too. ;)
  • jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 2,036
    How about some suggestions as to temp and time for a clean burn?
    Assuming I wan to keep my gacket, of course!
    Thanks in advance.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
    I forgot who said it but, try 500F or 600F for a while. I wouldn't walk away from my egg. That will burn the lump up fast at that temp. Tim :)