Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

First Turkey on the Egg

chocdocchocdoc Posts: 460
edited 6:50AM in EggHead Forum
But it won't be the last!

This was a really nice 23 lb turkey that has been in the freezer since Thanksgiving.

Did Little Steven's stuffing outside the bird.

Turkey took about 3 1/2 hours - the temperature was a little wonky - I think that I need to recalibrate my dome thermometer.

5647346623_65bf9bd4ed.jpg
DSCN2899

I protected the breast with foil until the last hour. I had rubbed the skin with duck fat, salted and peppered. I basted a couple of times during the cook.

The bird turned out amazingly moist (the birds I have had from this same farm before have always been great) - I think the egg just took it up that extra notch.

5647346649_788b4c51fc.jpg
DSCN2897

Comments

• FluffybFluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Looks great, love turkey on the egg. Actually have a turkey breast on now.
  • Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,770
    Mighty fine looking bird there. ;)
    Large, small and mini SW Austin
  • Great job man! I love the addition of the duck fat. Gonna try that next time!
  • atlpatsatlpats Posts: 102
    Looks tasty! Can't wait to try a turkey on the egg.
  • atlpatsatlpats Posts: 102
    Looks tasty! Can't wait to try a turkey on the egg.
  • Looks great Kerry, Happy Easter! Your Chocolate Bacon Bark was a hit at our Easter dinner last night.
  • chocdocchocdoc Posts: 460
    Primeggister1 wrote:
    Looks great Kerry, Happy Easter! Your Chocolate Bacon Bark was a hit at our Easter dinner last night.

Glad the chocolate went over well.

Did a butt using your rib rub the other day - turned out very well.
  • JLOCKHART29JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Not a big turkey eater but that one looks GREAT!!! Very nice
  • funk49funk49 Posts: 115
    That looks GREAT! I did a spatchcocked turkey for Thanksgiving. It was the best I ever had. :)
    b.t.w. Where do you buy duck fat? :whistle:
  • chocdocchocdoc Posts: 460
    funk49 wrote:
    That looks GREAT! I did a spatchcocked turkey for Thanksgiving. It was the best I ever had. :)
    b.t.w. Where do you buy duck fat? :whistle:

Actually rendered it out of duck breasts while I was cooking them. Often get over half a cup per breast. I can also find duck wings often at an asian grocery store an I'll put those in the oven to render all their fat.