Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Makin Bacon Day 5

Options
toquina
toquina Posts: 94
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So here is what is happening on day 5 of my pork bellies. After getting great feed back and input here on the egghead forum I have feeling that what I thought was going to be some great bacon may turn out to be more like panchetta. Live and learn I am going to get more bellies later on in the week and start the process over with the addition of ready cure and not draining the liquid.

Taking out the bellies from the fridge today hardly any liquid was in the bottom of the pan.

0b819210.jpg
0716fbc9.jpg

Thanks for all the help!!!
http://athomecooking.wordpress.com

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i don't drain the liquid with pancetta either. :laugh:
    you've gotten enough grief....

don't worry, what you have will still be good.
    salt-cured belly will be like salt pork, useful in cooking as lardons for example.

pancetta also uses pink salts, and is also usually dried by hanging. i just took one down today after three weeks.
    here it was a couple weeks ago

4f4d7c81.jpg
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I would love to have a hunk of that to throw in a big ole pot of beans or greens.It looks great.Some miteefine seasoning meat. ;) Heck.I'd hafta slice off a piece and fry it just to see.Some of the best bacon I ever tasted was salt cured and cold smoked,with the skin/rind still on.