Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

platesetter + high temp = turkey ignited

Options
CaCook
CaCook Posts: 68
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi I was making a turkey indirect and I wanted to get to 450-500 to crisp the skin first, I put a piece of foil on the platesetter to catch the oil as usual, but 400 was highest I saw. I went away for a bit and saw alot of smoke, the oil ended up flaming up and burned the bottom of the turkey.

I probably made matter worse by putting foil on the outside perimeter of the grate to prevent the 3 openings of the platesetter
from drying out the meat. So this probably channelled more heat directly bottom of platesetter and may have something to do with it. I guess this works better for low and slow

I wasn't using a pan of water, I just never found the need.

I would like some help to avoid these incidents, I am glad it wasn't thanksgiving.

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Man I would use the platesetter, spacers and a drip pan. You don't need to go to high temps for crispy skin.
    Try a light dusting of cornstarch after the rub and let it sit for a while. You don't need the water pan. That will give you rubbery skin.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    you will get a good amount of drippings from a bird, use a drip pan as little steven said, no need to go high temps for the skin.

Roast it like you would in your oven...if you are looking for the extra crispy skin try the cornstarch Steven mentions...
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    There was no need for the high heat. The turkey will brown nicely at 325 -350 over the cooking time, in fact, I usually have to foil the top of the bird to prevent over-browning. A little liquid in the drip pan; wine,water, etc. is fine. Try this: From bottom up, plate setter legs up, little green feet directly on the plate setter under drip pan with the turkey in a V-Rack(rib rack)sitting in the drip pan. You can also set the drip pan containing turkey directly on the grid above the plate setter if you want. I think that's the set up I was using for these birds.

110-1045_IMG.jpg

110-1049_IMG.jpg

Mark
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,675
    Options
    Have good luck spatchcocked direct - raised at 400 on my turkey.The dark is a coffee rub I use.

photo-127.jpg
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• CaCook
    CaCook Posts: 68
    Options
    Thanks especially weekend warrior's pics!

whenever I have a trouble with my cooking setup you guys always post a picture of your fool proof methods and it far exceeded what myself came up with.

I love this forum.

Thanks
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Like others have said, don't know where you needed high heat for crisp skin. Turkey is crispy at 325 until done.