Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for September? We’re ready as ever for football season! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. Either way they’re sure to become a fan favorite! We couldn’t forget about Labor Day...we have recipes and cook out ideas to celebrate the long weekend no matter what you’re doing. And lastly, be sure to cook up a batch (or five) of bacon for National Bacon Day! We can’t wait to fall into cooler weather with you!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

XL Draft Door Help

danv23danv23 Posts: 552
edited 11:56AM in EggHead Forum
Hi all,

Just replaced the draft door on my XL and was needing to know what kind of caulk was used to seal it so I can replace it. Not real knowledgeable in this area so looking for some help.

Thanks!!

The Dude: Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Walter Sobchak: [shouting] Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!

Cumming, GA

Comments

• WessBWessB Posts: 6,937
    Hi temp silicone is what they use originally..
  • danv23danv23 Posts: 552
    Thanks Wess!

The Dude: Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Walter Sobchak: [shouting] Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!

Cumming, GA
  • ranger rayranger ray Posts: 812
    you can buy the silicone at walmart or an auto store..it's made by "permatex" and comes in different temp ranges..... gold is best.. the red will hold up just fine..... that's what i have had on gasket for the least 7 years..... thanks! ray
  • If I remember correctly, I think the stock silicone isn't high temp at all, or so that is what I was told a while back when I asked BGE. So I think a clear sealing silicone is all that is needed.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• RRPRRP Posts: 16,155
    I agree and that's all I've used in my two retros and both are holding up well for 7 years now.
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL