Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spinach Poppers

Options
Greendriver
Greendriver Posts: 128
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thought I’d get this posted before it gets lost in the MOVE (Finally getting to move into our new office Sat – packing rat now). Veggie lovers need a popper too, so here’s one that worked fine on the egg, just be sure you cook hot enough and long enough (see recipe) and if the spinach still seems not cooked enough just cook a little longer. Started to add some stuff to this and changed my mind since it was first time, I wanted to do the original first. Was going to add some of them almond toppers and or some chopped japs, maybe next time. Could have sworn I had a nice presentation pic of both the long one and the muffin shape ones on plate together (must have dreamed it).[p]Spinach Poppers
By American Diabetes Association, July 2004 [p](Use cast iron cornbread stick pan and / or mini muffin pan))[p]Serves 6; serving size: 2-3 poppers)
· 1 can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
· 15-ounce package chopped spinach, thawed and drained
· 10 ounces (1 cup) part-skim ricotta cheese
· 2 eggs, beaten
· 1 garlic clove, minced
· ¼ cup red onion, minced
· ½ teaspoon fresh oregano, minced
· ¼ cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
· Fresh ground pepper and salt to taste
· Nonstick cooking spray
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. Spray mini-muffin tins with nonstick cooking spray, and fill with popper batter. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, remove from the oven, and serve.[p]Bout forgot, I used Cavenders Greek seasoning on half and the DP T.Spin on the other half[p]IMAG0317.jpg[p]IMAG0319.jpg[p]IMAG0322.jpg[p]IMAG0323.jpg

Comments

• FatDog
    FatDog Posts: 164
    Options
    Greendriver,
    Those look goooooodddd ... as soon as I am over this D@mn flu, I'm gonna' introduce that recipe to my egg. Thanks.

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Greendriver,[p]Hey those sound really good.
    I'd be inclined to add more garlic and maybe a touch of heat like cayenne..... how would you do this recipe differently the second time around?[p]Thanks, it's cut and pasted into To Do file.[p]John

• Greendriver
    Options
    WooDoggies,[p]Well Woo I think you just gave me the clue...I think I'd make some of my special homemade chili paste like I use sometimes to paste my cut up chicken on the grill. Roast a mixture of dried peppers and garlic, soak the peppers in boiling water and blend em w/s&p, then mix some of that in to get a nice flavor being careful to keep them coehesive. The key will still be getting them done enough though, when I first tried em the spinach seem raw and when I cooked em longer it was like a different animal...like they should be moist but with a texture like a baked bread item or something. Your right though, a sprinkling of rub is not enough, you do need more, or at least all of us eggspert tasters would proly say so.
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Greendriver,[p]Homemade chili paste sounds like a wonderful addition.... and we make a lot of that around here.
    And I'd think cooking it until it's good and brown all around the edges would be enough to say it's done.
    Thanks for the idea! [p]John