Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked cheese

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm doing a couple butts tonight on the egg. I took two softball size balls of mozerella and put them in a stockinette and dangled them, from a hook, about 3 or 4 inches over the opening of the egg (no cap) for the first three hours of my cook. The smoke billowing out hit the cheese squarely,
no wind here tonight, Anyway, I just took them down
and tasted a chunk and it really took on the smoke. I will test it better in the morning, I didnt want to cut into it because I want to grill it in big chunks tommorow.
Dylan

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Q.N.E. tyme, that sounds delicious..and leave it to you to come up with Matza Balls of a different nature. Did you wad up shredded mozzerella or block chunks..?? I have to get some for pizza in the next day or so. Gonna try that one!
    Thanks..C~W[p]

• Unknown
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    It was a chunk of mozz. a round chunk about softball size.
    I grilled one of them earler for dinner. I thought it was going to be too smokey because I cut one open today and took a slice from the middle and it was kinda too smokey. The one I grilled we put on french bread, and with something, its not as strong, and was really good. Next time I'll do it for a shorter time though. I will shredd the other ball and use it for burgers.
    Dylan

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Q.N.E. tyme, I wonder,,if one were to use some stove pipe, and cut slots on one end to make long legs to slip over or into the dome, then it wouldn't interfere with the venting yet allow smoke to ascend into the tube and smoke your cheese. Even in a fair breeze. Just thoughts...C~W[p]