Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spring has arrived (wingdings, steaks, pecan pie)

Options
smokeybreeze
smokeybreeze Posts: 216
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Finally getting around to posting about last weekend...

Started out with the chicken wings for a late lunch with neighbors. I used only the Habanero Seasoned Salt for seasoning, nicely dusting the wings. As the wings were smoking on the BGE (3 hours, indirect @ 225 dome), My 19 y/o son and I made garlic-garlic dip and ranch dip.

After the wings came off the egg, I shut the vents, thinking the egg was done for the day, but no, a couple of hours later, some steaks came out of the freezer and got the granite counter top thaw treatment. While they were thawing, I opened up the vents on the BGE and added a paper towel with some going-stale seasoned dipping oil to speed up the relighting of the egg.

When the steaks were consumed, my son asked about desert, I told him that we didn't have any, but we might have all the ingredients for a pie.

He volunteered to make a pie crust from scratch while I pulled out what we needed for a pecan pie. I taught him how to let the dough tell you what it needs as you make a perfect pie crust, and his crusts are darn good.

So into the egg the pie went and it turned out fantastic. My memory and the following pictures are all I have left of that memorable day:

The wings before:
IMG_4432a.JPG

The seasoning for the chicken wings was just this:
IMG_4433a.JPG
IMG_4434a.JPG

The wings just before hitting the BGE:
IMG_4437a.JPG

The wings about ready to be served:
IMG_4441a.JPG

The steaks:
IMG_4447a.JPG

And the pecan pie before and after:
IMG_4442a.JPG
IMG_4449a.JPG

A couple of additional points:
I used Dipstix steak seasoning on the steaks. (www.dipstix.com, and no I am not affiliated with them, I'm just a happy customer)
I have my egg about 16 ft from the closest window, so I have turned the dome thermometer so that when the needle is pointing straight up, I am at the temp I desire. This makes it easy to check at a glance whether or not you are too cool (needle is pointing left of center) or too hot (needle is pointing right of center)

Yesterday, the summer tires went on the vehicles and tomorrow, another round of pizzas are scheduled for the egg.

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Very nice cooks!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    It all looks really good. Watchout, next thing you know your son will be asking for his own egg! Can you find the habanero seasoned salt at your everyday grocery store?
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • smokeybreeze
    Options
    WeberWho? wrote:
    It all looks really good. Watchout, next thing you know your son will be asking for his own egg! Can you find the habanero seasoned salt at your everyday grocery store?

Hehe, that's not all he wants. He wants my cast iron cookware, my Henkel knives, my Viking cooktop and my Thermador pro oven too. At least if I died tomorrow, he'd make better use of all that than my lively bride since I'm the master chef of the household and he's following in my footsteps.

As for the habanero salt, I think you have to go to the www.dipstix.com website (http://www.dipstix.com/index.php?target=categories&category_id=2) to order the salt and other great spice goodies. I've never seen it anywhere retail and dipstix is a local company.
  • smokeybreeze
    Options
    WeberWho? wrote:

Hehe, that's not all he wants. He wants my cast iron cookware, my Henkel knives, my Viking cooktop and my Thermador pro oven too. At least if I died tomorrow, he'd make better use of all that than my lively bride since I'm the master chef of the household and he's following in my footsteps.

As for the habanero salt, I think you have to go to the www.dipstix.com website (http://www.dipstix.com/index.php?target=categories&category_id=2) to order the salt and other great spice goodies. I've never seen it anywhere retail and dipstix is a local company.
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    Options
    looks delicious... my mouth is watering just looking at those wings.
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com