Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Can I use "Pork Shoulder Butt" for Pulled Pork

WalterWalter Posts: 67
edited 7:04AM in EggHead Forum
I've used Boston Butts before for pulled pork. Can I use a "Pork Shoulder Butt" ? The "butcher" at Costco told my wife it was the next cut from the Boston Butt. If I can use it would it be much different in terms of texture or flavor? I'm preparing pulled pork for my son's graduation (his request) and don't want to dissapoint 30 newbies to low-n-slow cooking.

• JJJJ Posts: 951
    It will work

• JJ,I agree it does work and the pork is good. However, I have not been able to get the meat to fall off the bone (pulled by hand)like I achieve with "butts" on the Weber.I have cooked "butts" for 7-8 hours at 250 & 300 degrees and I can not get the meat to fall away by hand pulling.[p]Can anyone offer suggestions?? I don't want to have to go back to the Weber.

• GfwGfw Posts: 1,598
    <p />Rk, you should be cooking to an internal temp of about 200 degrees - we all have our favorite ways, mine takes about 18-20 hours at 210-240 dome temp. Check out the link for more pictures and times.

[ul][li]Pulled Pork[/ul]
  • Char-WoodyChar-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Rk, you will find the shoulder meat is more grainy and dense and it will not shred as well as the more marbled (fatty) full boston butt. This is what makes the Boston Butt unique.

• Char-Woody, aren't the Boston butt and pork shoulder butt the same cut with different (colloquial) names?

• GfwGfw Posts: 1,598
    George, from the Pork People...

[ul][li]Pork Cuts[/ul]
  • Char-WoodyChar-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Gfw, Good pics..shows the separation of the Shoulder Butt (Boston Butt) and the shoulder itself.