Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question For Pasta Lovers..

Options
Rascal
Rascal Posts: 3,923
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'd like some advice on baking a pasta dish. I have Penne, sauce (tomato) and sausage, along with
Parmigiano Reggiano and Asiago cheeses. If I combine the pasta, sauce, Asiago, top with the Parm/Reg and bake until browned/bubbly, would this be a good idea? I'm just not that familiar with Asiago and wonder how it might work ala Italiano! Thanks for any help!!~~

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Is the pasta pre-cooked or is enough juice in that to cook pasta?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    The pasta will be pre-cooked (al dente) as will the sausage. I'm just wondering if the cheeses I plan on using will work. Thank you for your help..
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Mickey has a good question. I you are baking pasta, boil it first, and drain it slightly before it's done, or else it will be very overcooked in the baking process. Asiago is good, but it's a hard cheese, if you want lots of melty browness on top, maybe get some mozzarella cheese and mix the asiago in with that.

Egg or oven?
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Hungry Celeste
    Options
    Assuming you have the (more common in the US) hard, dry Asiago, it will work just fine. It is less assertive than Parmesan, with a similar texture/melting properties. It will brown and crisp on the surface of a pasta dish...if you like darkly browned, crispy cheese, go ahead and sprinkle it on at the beginning of cooking. Me, I'd mix the Asiago into the pasta and reserve the (freshly grated, good quality) Parmesan for sprinkling atop the dish after it is cooked.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    asiago is mixed with parm and romano all the time, all very similar
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    The pasta should be a little undercooked before you bake.

Asiago will bake similar to the parmigiano. If you're looking for gooey, add a firm mozzarella (not fresh), provolone or jack.