Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Here are some of our new favorite non-beef burgers: Italian Turkey Burger, Grilled Tuna Burger and Goat Cheese Portobello Burger. You’ll want to perfect these before football season starts up in a few weeks! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Comments

• RascalRascal Posts: 3,347
    I always thought it was something you used in the garden..
  • Totally funny! And Rascal's comment is great! Yes, it is fertilizer!

Seriously, that stuff ain't bad. And I also didn't know what chick peas is. I said the same thing: Oh, then why didn't ya say garbanzo beans in da first place?

Here is the recipe I use. It came from my ex-vegetarian girlfriend like 20 years ago. Moosewood restaurant, in San Francisco, I think:

Moosewood Hummus
    (Moosewood Cookbook) with my notes added:

1 1/2 cups dried chickpeas, soaked overnight and boiled until very soft or 1 15-oz. can of chickpeas

3 medium cloves garlic, minced

1-1/2 teaspoons salt

Dash of tamari (or omit salt altogether and just add a little more tamari) - - you can also substitute soy sauce if you cannot find tamari

Juice of 2 medium lemons

3/4 cup tahini (this is the key ingredient, it is sesame paste. DO NOT substitute peanut butter, like I tried once....)

1/4 packed cup finely minced fresh parsley

Freshly ground black pepper and cayenne pepper

1/4 cup minced scallions (green onions OK)

Just throw all this stuff in a food processor and grind up to a paste. Taste it. Don't be afraid. Add ingredients to taste. Extra virgin olive oil might be nice. . . .

Of course, there are some other items you can throw in, like roasted peppers, roasted garlic, and other stuff.....

Here is a hint!
    If you have a Togo's sandwich shop near you, go there, and try a sample of their hummus - for free. If you don't have one of them places near you. Sorry. No freebies.