Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak And Salmon At The Same Time

Options
Mark
Mark Posts: 295
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All, First meal today I need help, can I cook both at the same time. Any advice would sure be helpful. Thanks in advance Mark

Comments

• bigmikej
    bigmikej Posts: 216
    Options
    Mark,
    I would sear the steaks at 750+ and then take off to rest, a la Trex. Once temp has gone down to 350-400, cook salmon on raised grid and finish off steaks (on same grid) to desired deg. of doneness while salmon cooks. Don't forget to give the steaks time to rest before cutting.

• Mark
    Mark Posts: 295
    Options
    bigmikej, I do not have a raised grid. I just got my egg this week and this is my first cook.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Mark,
    ...not critical. you can use the regular old grid.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Options
    Mark,
    Sure you can, but you didn't say how thick your steak is or how you want it cooked so you have to plan for different cooking times. Salmon doesn't take long. Don't forget to open your vents and burp your egg after you go from sear to cook in the TREX method so you don't get a flashback.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Mark,
    on the dizzy pig site theres a glazed salmon recipe.if you trex the steak and lower the temp down to 375 to roast the meat you could put both on at this time.you probably dont have their rubs yet, but you could put a little thyme,sugar,and a little cayenne on it, go lightly with the rub because the butter maple glaze is good. since your cooking on the lower level, i think i would just cook it skin down and not skin it.try and get the steak done ahead of the salmon so that it can rest before cutting

[ul][li]dizzypig[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it