Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

winter mold

Options
Dimple's Mom
Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have quite a bit of mold, esp in one of the eggs, from not being used this winter. Is the best way to get rid of it just to burn it off? At what temp? I've lit them, am going to cook in one (I cleaned it out pretty good last night) and then let both of them go til they burn out of lump and am thinking at maybe 700?

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    when i see the lump all red on top i adjust and start cooking, figure its all dead by then, sometimes it takes a while til the moisture works it way up for the heat to rise. i only do the burn outs when the grease is really built up.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Dimple's Mom
    Options
    I wouldn't be able to get by with just doing that. Here in the PNW, it's so cold and damp for such a long time, that the mold gets really disgusting in the egg. I had some health issues and wasn't able to use it from October til just yesterday, so it's bad!
  • fishlessman
    Options
    an extended burn at 700 will burn your gaskets off if you still have them. my maine egg at camp is still under a snow bank last used tday, i wont be using it for maybe another month, it will be thick with mold, it takes longer to get the lump all red in a wet egg, mine will take an hour or two before it really gets to a good burning temp
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    watch for this if its really wet inside, moisture works its way through, maine has snow and mud season

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1065340&catid=1
    fukahwee maine

• Dimple's Mom
    Options
    Hmmmm, I did notice some very light brown stuff on the egg we used last night, when I lit it tonight. I'm thinking it might be dried on pollen or something though. It's not in any way at the drippy stage shown in that photo.

I have both eggs burning now at about 550 - 600. The mold situation is much improved. I'll just have to start using them a lot more!
  • asianflava
    asianflava Posts: 313
    Options
    I put a bag of cheap briquettes in and light it with both vents wide open. I let it burn all the way down and deal with it the next day.