Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tonights Super Moon

Options
Gator Bait
Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

Hi All

Another beautiful night in Southwest Florida, 69.5º F and a slight breeze out of the NW.

The moon rose as a huge orange ball right on time at 7:53pm. I took several photos of it shortly after rising. There is to much atmosphere at that low angle to get a really clear shot but that is what gives it it's color.

An early shot . . .
DSC_7215A_1024.jpg

Thirty to forty five minutes later when the moon was a little higher in the sky and it improved.
DSC_72701024.jpg

Feel free to right click on the images and save if you would like a copy. Those images will be larger.

WARNING: These images are not for navigational purposes! ;)

Have a great night All,

Blair

Comments

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Nice! I will be looking for that in a few hours here in the PNW...
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    Breath taking shots as usual. I was hoping to see some of your shots when I posted about the Super Moon Yesterday! Thanks
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Blair, I'm still waiting for it to come 'round these parts. ;)

Absolutly beautiful pictures my friend!!
    Thank you!!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    Thank you very, very much for sharing these fantastic photographs! You are a gifted photographer and a very kind person....I have a new screensaver.... :):kiss:
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    My 11 year old was disappointed after all the build up on the news. Maybe I should turn into a werewolf or something?

Great shots, what kind of glass were you shooting with?
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Blair incredible, you da man!!!!! :P We are sitting out looking at it, a great night
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Thanks Scott, I hope it is still beautiful when it gets there. I have a hunch it will be. :)

Blair

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Chris, I agree with your 11 year old. I've been outside several times tonight, checking it out. From when it first rose above the trees until now, when it's high in the sky. To me, it looks no different than every other full moon I've ever seen. Much adieu about same old same old.

Great pics from Blair though, as always!! Better than the real thing, in fact. Blair's pics always amaze!!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Gator Bait
    Options

Thanks G&C, I posted this mornings moon HERE if you missed it. :)

Blair

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Very cool.
    We have to much fog to see anything here in Galveston.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Hi Molly, Thanks my friend, I'm sure it will be there soon if not there yet. It will probably look bigger and brighter with your altitude. I just had yesterdays ribs for dinner, I think they were twice as good as last night. :P

Blair

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Great shots. Which camera and lens did you use? Any other settings such as f-stop aperture etc.?

Just asking as I'm trying to learn more for my Nikon D60.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Thanks Elizabeth, I'm delighted you like them, I have fun shooting them and they are a hit here on the forum. :)

Blair

• Gator Bait
    Options

I can understand his point of view, lol, after all it is the moon and not much changes with it very often.

I use a Nikon Fieldscope 82mm ED with a DSLR Camera Attachment FSA-L1 attached to my Nikon D90 with a long cable release and a sturdy tripod. The scope gives me a 1500mm lens. A bargain when you consider that a 600mm Nikkor lens is about $10,000!
    DSCN6127_640.jpg

The scope is a fixed aperture of f13 and there is nothing automatic about it, all manual. You regulate your exposure with your shutter speed and ISO settings. It is outstanding for wildlife photography.

DSC_5893A_640.jpg

DSC_5052A_640.jpg

DSC_0263_640.jpg

DSC_0988A_640.jpg

DSC_3019A_640.jpg

I am no way associated with Nikon . . . just a happy consumer. :laugh:

Blair

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Great shots Blair, thanks for sharing them I mean braving that nasty weather we're having and all :laugh:
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Thanks Beli, it was a very nice night here as well. A little chilly but that kept the bugs down. :)

Blair

• Gator Bait
    Options

Thanks Michael, LOL, I for the most part agree, it's the same old moon and good thing too! If it changed radically we'd be in big trouble! :laugh:

Blair

• Gator Bait
    Options

Thanks Darian, there was a chance of fog here, that was my main reason for going out early this morning as well. I was covering my bases.

Blair

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Nice. I feared when I first when out the big event would be a bust. I read on a photography forum the moon appears 14% bigger tonight. It looked bigger I thought.

First look.

IMG_0002.jpg

Went back out for another look and it looked better. Still a lot of clouds and haze out there tonight though. I don't think with it being closer I was able to get any better of an image though.

IMG_0010.jpg
  • Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    It is ONLY 31,000 miles closer than normal. That is why it is larger and considered the "Super Moon" Enjoy it , it will not happen again until 2023...
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Nice pictures.

GG
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Hey Dave, Thanks, I listed all my hardware with NibbleMeThis's post just above. For exposure I shot 1/320 sec. at f13, ISO was set at 200. This is a ridiculous exposure for this image. The original image looks nothing like the finished one. I did a lot of editing. The original is dark and uninteresting. I bracket like crazy when shooting the moon. I took about 70 12 mega pixel images tonight and more then that this morning. I bracket ISO settings and shutter speeds. My scope has a fixed aperture of f13 so I can't bracket that.

Good luck, the D60 is a great camera,

Blair

• Gator Bait
    Options

Thanks Pat, it's a rough job but somebody gotta do it. :lol:

Blair

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    and a fine job you do,,, I did save the images, thanks ;)
  • Gator Bait
    Options
    Thanks, you did a good job with your Canon, that must be a good lens. Canon is one of my top choices, they have been around for ever.

Blair

• Gator Bait
    Options

Thank you Kent, have a great weekend. :)

Balir

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Check your email.

H
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,676
    Options
    Blair nice as always, thanks...
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    .......and a Super thanks to you Blair! :)
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Options
    Fantastic job Blair
    Your pics are always amazing :)

Shane