Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lamb shoulder

Options
Big Polish
Big Polish Posts: 23
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone tried to smoke and pull lamb?

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    You can do it with a shoulder. Best to attach some fat of some kind to it. Bacon, or salt pork. Better if you lard it.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,818
    Options
    ive done it with the leg, you really have to like mutton to like it though. there is directions on the dizzy pig rub site for it, i think they used a shoulder, it should be easier than to use the leg for a pull
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    I smoked two shoulders. They were mutton and I cooked them until the meat fell off the bones. I ordered the shoulders from my butcher who's lamb supplier is out of Chicago,... I ended up with traditional Greek style mutton, did not expect that. Well we ate them anyway. My wife said the meat brought back memories when she was a youngster at her family picnics in Milwaukee. I can get lamb shoulders from my Piggly Wiggly Store but they are very small and all bone and fat with little pockets of very greasy meat that's just not worth the effort in my opinion. I've cooked those and ended up with around 70% waste. No value in that. I guess it depends on the cut. A lot of the lamb goes into 'stew meat'. I can imagine producers chopping up the good parts of the shoulder and neck for stew meat, perhaps that's why I don't see a good lamb shoulder in the meat cooler.
    We love lamb, not a lot of choices from the market so I've been thinking of going in at a county auction and purchasing 1/2 a lamb on the hoof, with my cousin going in for the other half then having it processed ready for the freezer. This way I get it all, including a loin rib roast....yummmmmmm.
    Good luck, lamb is a delicacy from the egg.