Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

7 Bone Suggestions?

Options
Citizen Q
Citizen Q Posts: 484
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I picked up a 2.69 lb 7 bone roast beef chuck thats just about 2" thick. Never cooked this particular cut before and was just wondering if anybody had any suggestions for the best way they've Egged one before.[p]Thanks,
C~Q

Comments

• Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    Options
    Citizen Q,[p]I had no idea what a 7 bone roast was until I went to foodsubs.com[p]This is what they say --
    "7-bone pot roast = 7-bone roast = center cut pot roast = chuck roast center cut Notes: This is a tough cut of meat, so it's usually braised or cooked in liquid to tenderize it. A steak from this roast is called a 7-bone steak. Substitutes: arm roast OR blade pot roast[p]7-bone steak = center chuck steak Notes: This is an economical steak cut from a 7-bone pot roast. It's rather tough, so your best bet is to braise it. If you insist on grilling or broiling it, be sure to marinate it overnight to make it as tender as possible. Substitutes: top blade steak OR under blade steak "[p]
    I love that site!

[ul][li]Food Subs Website[/ul]
  • Citizen Q
    Options
    Steve-B,
    I kinda had the feeling that I was buying a 2 and half pound oxtail, but what the heck, it only cost 4 bucks. Think I might throw it in a bag with some Soy-Vay Island Teryaki and try out that TRex method Sat or Sun.
    Cool website by the way.[p]Thanks,
    C~Q

• StumpBaby
    Options
    Citizen Q,[p]Someone done posted about those not too long ago..maybe it was chet, anyway, from what I recall..and member I'm a Stump..but they did it low and slow..and wrapped it in foil somewhere towards the end..and made pulled beef outta it. I don't think the darned thing stands a chance bein trexed..but member..I'm a Stump..a funlovin stump..but a Stump nontheless....[p]StumpBaby

• Citizen Q
    Options
    Hey Stump,
    The main reason I actually bought the thing, aside from it only costing 4 dollars, was that I never TRexed anything yet, and I didn't want to ruin a 5 dollar steak.[p] How bout them Patriots, buddy? Are they wicked pissa or what?[p]Cheers man,
    C~Q

• StumpBaby
    Options
    Citizen Q,[p]Wicked pissa they is for sure. I'm off for some shuteye..still snowin here like you read about..sheesh..I think right about now I'd sleep with a horny camel for just a little bit of hot sun in my face...[p]
    StumpBaby

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,828
    Options
    Citizen Q,
    i have trexed a few. only the first one i did was eatible. the rest turned into chili on a later date. low and slow is the way to go, foil and add liguid when it hits about 165-170 and cook past 200 internal for pull. the plataeu stage seams to be lower with beef, down near 140-145

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it