Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New guy at the grille

Options
Toaster_Head
Toaster_Head Posts: 31
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi everyone! Glad (very glad) to be here. I'm new to the BGE but not to backyard cooking. I wanted to share some info from the Newbie perspective and it covers a variety of things;

My large BGE package included plate setter, daisy top, nest, ash tool thingy and a bag of lump. I added the pizza stone and walked the whole she-bang out the door for 1,095. Base package price was 995 and 895 for the medium. I figured at the cost, the large was the best deal for only 100bucks more.

Immediately after assembly I grilled the "test ribeye" effortlessly to absolute perfection!
Next night I indirect cooked salmon fillet to absolute perfection!
Next night, spatchcock chicken and it was...you guessed it!

Lessons learned:
Zen mentality is essential when going for stable temp control, (learn to wait young grasshopper)

Opening the lid for a peek will cost you +60degrees immediately...and 20 minutes to re-stabilize back down to the target temp. (leave it alone, it's doing just fine!)

Spatchcock chicken works best if you tuck the legs into a slit in the thigh (ref: Steven Raichlen's BBQ Bible) it keeps the thigh + leg from getting done too quick before the breast.

Due diligence is the best way to learn about the Zen of Egg..I can't thank WESSB, Nakedwhiz and others enough for puttin it out there for all of us.

So after ten+ years of whining, I got the egg and it has already surpassed my eggspectations (*smirk)
Now back to my Low & Slow research effort.

cheers!
T

Comments