Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

why raise the grid?

SmkyJSmkyJ Posts: 17
edited 2:10PM in EggHead Forum
Ive been using my egg for a few weeks now and am totally in love. Ive chicken and steaks and have smoked a coupla racks of ribs as well. Everything has been outstanding.
I have read a few posts about the woo ring and raising the grid to the felt level. Whats the advantage here? JUst curious as i am looking to mazimize this thing. Making a pizza tonight.....
love this thing!

• I only raise the grid to avoid flare ups on chicken, sausage, greasy stuff, etc. :) I don't use raised for steaks, pork, etc.
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    distance from the direct heat of lump means the temp is dialed back a bit while still grilling direct.

the dome may say 450-500 (for example) but lump actually is around 1100 when burning.

the dome might read the same temp either way, but when the meat is closer to the lump it will burn far more quickly than when it is raised a little bit away.

radiant energy falls off at the square of the distance (though we are also cooking with the hot dome gasses too)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Capt FrankCapt Frank Posts: 2,578
    What Stike says.
    You will get much better results with chicken, fish, etc cooking direct but up away from the heat a little. You can go with a couple of firebricks or a rig like this to do it cheaply,
    P6110017 by Capt Frank1, on Flickr
    Or you can get the Three tier rack from BGE or the Woo ring from Tom at :)
  • RipnemRipnem Posts: 5,511
    Another reason is to cook on multiple levels. :)

• Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,402
    Hot spots are minimized when grilling further from the coals, and low to medium grilling can be more easily controlled.

Glad you are loving your Egg. It'll change your life if it hasn't yet.
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
  • smoky bsmoky b Posts: 648
    as long as you don't use galvanized steel ;)
    or stainless ;)
  • outrageousoutrageous Posts: 668
    your spathcock chicken will look like this

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

• gdenbygdenby Posts: 5,300
    To add to the above:

Its a lot easier to work with the food when its at the felt level.

If the grill is raised upon a lower grill, there is a place for a drip pan to keep fat from burning on the coals, and producing smoke to coat what is being cooked that is less than healthy.
  • TurkTurk Posts: 114
    What is wrong with stainless?
    Nothing. Nothing the matter with galvanized either

Kind of an "ongoing discussion" here and I was just digging up the dead horse somit could be beaten again. Namely: if galvy were an issue, stainless would be too. At welding temps, stainless is far worse than galvanized steel.

But I always go back to the one everyone chooses to ignore. If fumes from the egg were a problem, it'd be the carbon monoxide.
  • cherokeercherokeer Posts: 45
    what size are the u bolts you used.