Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vents WAY open for 230-250 temp, HELP please

Options
2»

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Visual Guide To Vent Settings

This all assumes proper burning lump... see my post above for some explanation.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

That's pretty dang warm for those settings. Did the burn start high and still cooling down or is that a stable temperature?

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Interesting...

There sure are a lot of ways to do things. However, I would not recommend taking the temperature above target. Should the ceramics heat to the target plus temperature one will fight to lower those 50°. I might suggest settle in 30° - 50° below then slowly open vents, one vent at a time and wait, then the other if that is what one is doing.

At some point in time folks will learn where there settings are for a good solid cook. At that point it doesn't matter a lot if one is a little above or below target it will be an easy matter in settling into target.

My 2¢

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

I invert my fire grate also.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    if you convert 316 f to celsius you'll see it's 200.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • erichboss
    erichboss Posts: 27
    Options
    Thanks for the guide! I think i may have choked my fire before it was burning well. It is the only thing I can think of that i must of done wrong, from reading everyones posts. At any rate just pulled the 2 butts and shoulder off after 23 hours and they look great! They are for work tomorrow for lunch.
    Now should I pull tonight or wait untill the morning to pull. I am thinking tonight cause then the wife and I can eat the crunchy juicy bits for dessert!