Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Zippylip pizza help

Options
Photo Egg
Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I purchased the standard bottle of yeast and not the bread machine type as shown in the slide show. Will this still work for the stage-two dough.
Thank you,

Darian
Thank you,
Darian

Galveston Texas

Comments

• Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    Yes, but you have to proof it first, which is not necessary with instant (bread machine/RapidRise) yeast that you just add in with the dry ingredients. You know, add the warm water (110-115°) and maybe sugar to feed it, and in 10 minutes it should be bubbling.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    Edit: after my reply I googled it, there doesn't seem to be any more consensus out there on the need to proof yeast as there is consensus here on how to properly set up the egg to cook a pie :laugh: :blink: , so I say just try a batch with your standard yeast per the instructions & see what's what, you'll know in pretty short order whether or not it's necessary

Darian, I’ve always used the bread machine yeast so I don’t know the answer for sure. I tend to think you can use it without proofing but don’t want to steer you wrong, hopefully Fidel will pop in as I believe he may use standard yeast.

On an unrelated note, I’ve always proofed even the bread machine yeast which isn’t necessary, but for speed purposes anything you can do to cut down on the rise-time is beneficial. Often when I make the original version I pop the dough in the warming drawer for 30 minutes to double then make the pie immediately. From a time standpoint you can proof, knead, rise, & have your first pie on the egg all within 1 hour. Of course speed isn’t necessarily a desirable element of making good pizza, but when lack of planning collides with the sudden urge for a pie, it still beats a ringing doorbell signaling the arrival of a box of crap
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Great question Darian. ;)

I'll be watching this post. :huh:
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Thank you.
    I will try a batch using this standard bottle per your instructions.
    Was my bad, I just read your instructions and did not view the slide show till I was home from the store last night.
    Thank you very much for your time posting all this pizza help.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas