Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Preferred Flavour for Beef

Options
Primeggister1
Primeggister1 Posts: 379
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just a question to all;

What flavour to do you prefer to taste on beef? I would like it if you all were specific to dry spices. Some just appreciate a good steak with sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper.

What do you enjoy beside purchasing a ready made product.

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Good question. If you are not looking for a ready-made, salt and pepper are fantastic on a steak. More pepper than you would think. But earthy chilies are nice, and garlic doesn't hurt. But, by far, the best taste on beef is the all powerful black pepper.

Happy searing.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    If you have a GOOD quality steak,salt and pepper is IT. :)
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Marc,

Depends on the cut for me. I like garlic on or in most cuts but like cumin a lot, corriander, lime, tequila and citrus with different cuts.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    My tastes are far more simple I guess. Just give me salt on a dry aged steak and I'm in heaven! I believe in letting the meat taste speak for itself and the salt just enhances the meat - not mask it.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    For steaks, you have pretty much said it. Salt and LOTS of black pepper.

After those, there are lots of flavors that are good. Dashes of cayenne, touches of dill or ginger, lime zest. etc.

But for most cuts of beef, really, just about everything. Bay leaf is a really good addition. I've never used juniper, or fennel, or cloves, or fenugreek. Beef seems to be able to carry lots of other flavors, as the occasion suggests.
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    For steak:

onion powder
    garlic powder
    Kosher salt
    coarsely ground black Pepper
    Shake of Cayenne or ancho chili if you like which I do.

I rub it into the steak with the back of a teaspoon and spray lightly with some canola oil to keep the rub on...

It's good.
  • Scotty's Inferno
    Options
    Salt, Black pepper & mesquite are thee beef combo for me. I sometimes use ground ginger, but that's another concept altogether.
  • Primeggister1
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I will experiment with all your suggestions.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Really...A good beef steak needs only salt and pepper.
    And for the record; I never use a steak sauce either.
    Flavors are fun to play with, for sure, but even with a top quality roast some salt, pepper, carrot, celery, onion, garlic and a bay leaf will fire the missile.
  • snake701uk
    snake701uk Posts: 187
    Options
    Little Kosher salt, lots freashly ground black pepper. Fresh garlic rubbed all over, and a whole bunch of rosemary. Keep Rosemary on top when turning. Variation is to rub mashed roasted garlic all over. Scrap off if desired before serving. Just ideas. Beef is the only meat I don't use cumin. Andy
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Yep. Even before having dry aged stuff, I was so blown away with a steak done over charcoal (former gasser owner here), I never did anything more than salt and pepper. Salt before it goes on the fire and pepper after

We'll marinate a London broil sometimes, and bury a filet in pastry and shrooms and such, but a straight up 'steak' cook is usually salt-n-peppa.

In the gasser days i liked celery salt ( try it) and/or garlic powder. But they both burn unless done at maybe 450-500 ( still direct).

I might try them again, cery salt was my favorite since I was maybe ten, but with dry aged stuff the flavor really benefits from being out there by itself. My thinking anyway.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    try this with a ribeye or tritip, crazy good. normally i just like salt, then pepper after the sear, but fish sauce is actually good :blink: then add some crying tiger sauce and you have a meal

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=903154&catid=1
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it