Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Royal Oak Plant

Options
TNmike
TNmike Posts: 643
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I saw the post by JJ of the moon rock in a bag of Royal Oak. So thought I would repost these pics of a Royal Oak Plant that I took a couple of years ago in Southeast MO. Now SE Mo is a very rocky place and you can see all of the wood piled up over acres and acres. You can also barely the kilns that are loaded and unloaded by big front end loaders so doesn't surprise me to see a few moon rocks. They wouldn't let me enter. Mike

DSC01014.jpg

DSC01013.jpg

DSC01012.jpg

DSC01011.jpg

DSC01010.jpg

Comments

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    That’s neat Mike, Thanks,
    JJ

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• TNmike
    Options
    I had posted them a couple of years ago but thought there may be enough newer members that might like to see them. I used to pass directly in front of the plant back years ago on my way to visit my parents and you could see and smell the smoke miles on the down wide side. All of the smoke is now contain by the piping you can see on the top of the kilns. Mike
  • CocagnEgger
    Options
    Nice pics TNmike. I'm from Canada's East Coast and I can buy the Royal Oak brand in a lot of the local Hardware stores. It's nice to see some pics of the spot that I get some of my lump charcoal.

Thanks. :):)
  • TNmike
    Options
    I'm sure RO has several other plants so yours may come from somewhere else. There are several other buildings that are not in the pictures. I have no idea if lump, briquets or both are produced at this plant. Well, I guess they have to make lump to make briquets. The wood in the bundles are 'slabs' the 1st cuts from a log in a sawmill. These slabs used to just be scraps.
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    Wow, One match and about 500 acres go up in five minutes. Thanks for sharing.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • wkygriller
    wkygriller Posts: 408
    Options
    Around here the tobacco farmers use the wood slabs to dark fire the tobacco in the barns. It will smolder for a long time without getting out of control most of the time (neighbor lost 2 barns this year to fire).
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    I'd forgot about that trip. Thanks for reposting Mike.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE