Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tel-Tru Thermometer for the Mini?

Options
Judy Mayberry
Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The Naked Whiz says the temp-sensing end of this thermometer is to the groove 1-3/4" from the tip.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/whichteltru.htm

The short Tel-Tru doesn't leave enough exposed to show correct temperatures. So instead of doing extra math every time I look I'm inclined to leave the old BGE impossible-to-read thermometer in place.

Any comments are appreciated.
Judy in San Diego

Comments

• transversalInactive
    Options
    If I have one criticism of the egg, it's that they didn't offer a thermometer with a larger dial readable from a distance for this old newbie. It caused me to order a remote sensing thermometer which I hope to have tomorrow to solve that problem.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Judy, my 2.5" is off by 25°(too low) as compared with the 5" model inserted so that the notch was where it needs to be. I wrote to T-T and asked. Their reply...

"Thank you for using Tel-Tru thermometers and providing details of your testing. I am happy to respond to your questions.

1.) Yes, we can manufacture a 3" or 3.5" stem. We can offer both of these stem lengths with temperature range 200/1000F. I think you will see the 3.5" stem added soon to our website.

2.) Yes, you can re-calibrate the 2.5" stem unit with the range 200/1000F to read 25 degrees higher. Before doing so, make sure that the 5" stem thermometer has been at the test point for 3 minutes. Also make sure the 2.5" stem is installed for 3 minutes at the same set temperature as the 5" stem unit before adjusting calibration.

The 2.5" stem was offered after getting requests & orders for it from BGE mini owners who also confirmed that the thermometer was accurate. I am sorry to learn that you are showing different results."

Wonder who reported that it was accurate?

I haven't recalibrated yet.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Judy my Tel-Tru is closer to 3" than 2 1/2?
    We are cooking with fire out of doors: how close do we have to be?
    photo-4-1.jpg
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I have the 2 1/2" as well and it works great in the Mini.
    The Walls on the Mini are not as thick...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Call the store at 770-934-5300 and ask them for the tel tru Big Green Egg Thermometer. That will fix you up.