Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Poussin & Grouse

Susan EgglaineSusan Egglaine Posts: 2,437
edited 9:22PM in EggHead Forum
34qqq0l.jpg
These were done a raised grid, indirect, low heat. The grouse were bacon wrapped. The Poussin had fresh herbs tucked under the skin.
1znwigp.jpg
Both were just o.k.

Comments

• Hi Susan. You have been doing some nice, unusual cooks. I like that.

Why were these just OK?
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 6 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 2 Smalls, 1 well-used Mini
  • I guess my expectations were to high :laugh: The grouse was a little dry even though they were wrapped in bacon and done on low heat :sick:
  • Susan,

I always brine wild birds. The can be dry

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 8,238
    Looks good from Florida. Have never cooked or seen a grouse but find quail are great this way.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=851401&catid=1
  • Thanks! This is how the hunter said he did them. I will brine next time ;)
  • Richard, that does look yummy :)
  • GWGW Posts: 98
    Susan,

What kind of Grouse do you have there? We got both Ruff Grouse and Sharp Tail. We treated the Ice Fest folks to some Ruff Grouse that looks similar. Pretty darn close to chicken if you asked me!
  • oh boy!..... grouse.... one of my favorites.... i used to shoot 2 per day years ago when they were prolific in my area....the habitat changes.... and so does the grouse population..... unfortunately.... that was one of my favorite after work hobbies... there have never been very many pheasants around here except for the tame"chickens".... that the game commission stocked a week before small game season.... to make everyone think that the price of a hunting lic. was worth it....lol...rr
  • I am not sure what kind they are. I traded a friend some scallops for them. He hunts in SW Va & does not get many. Most come from his hunts in S.C.