Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri tip in progress/stuffed????

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a tri tip roast, first rubbed with Italian seasoning and sat in the fridge overnight, now in a zip-lock bag covered with Fischer & Wiser raspberry chipotle sauce & a bit of merlot, will leave it for about 48 hours before egg-en. I was thinking of butterflying it and maybe making a stuffing of bell pepper,shredded carrot,onion and celery then back together with a skewer or two. Maybe a quick sear then slow cook to about 135. What do you think about the stuffing idea???[p]Cheers,
Bordello
aka New Bob

Comments

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    Bordello,[p]Sounds kinda poultry-like to me. I'd do an onion/mushroom/cheese kinda thing maybe. There's some expert stuffing people here..see if they chime in.[p]mShark
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Bordello,
    try the one i did in my butterflied lobster stuffed beef tenderloin.. .pancetta, mushrooms, green onion, shallots, white wine. .. it was really outstanding stuff, and worked really well with beef. . .. [p]here's the stuffing recipe:[p]1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1/4 pound pancetta or bacon, chopped
    1/2 cup chopped shallots
    3 tablespoons minced celery
    2 teaspoons minced garlic
    4 ounces baby chanterelle mushrooms, stems trimmed and sliced (i used regular white mushrooms)
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons minced green onions
    2 tablespoons dry white wine
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves [p]In a large skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of the oil over medium-high heat. Add the pancetta and cook, stirring, until crisp and the fat is rendered, about 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon. Drain off all but 2 teaspoons of fat from the pan. Add the shallots and celery and cook, stirring, until soft, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the mushrooms and a pinch each of salt and pepper, and cook until the mushrooms give off their liquid, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the green onions and stir. Add the wine, increase the heat, and cook until it has nearly all evaporated, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the parsley and stir. Remove from the heat, stir in the cooked pancetta, and let cool.

• Hi Molly,
    Just kind of eggsperimenting here and trying to use up my chipotle sauce, I also have a little bit of ground coffee beans in the marinade.
    LOL
    You trying to keep my weight up with the cheese?????
    Only kidding. Just trying to get something a little different, if no stuffing I will just sear and slow cook.
    Thanks,
    Bordello

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Man, Bob. Leave that poor thing alone. It was a perfectly good piece of meat right after the italian seasoning. Put it out of it's misery. Cook it and eat it. [p]Next time drink the merlot, and use the sauce for some chicken nuggets.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    Bordello,[p]Part skim mozzarella maybe?
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    mollyshark,
    Got it Molly. (Big Grin)[p]Thanks,
    New Bob trying not to get fat.

• Bordello
    Options
    drbbq,
    Hi Ray
    This piece of meat is so common here we have gotten tired of just doing it the same old way so thought it was a good chance to use up all the extra stuff in the fridge before throwing it out.[p]LOL
    Probably have to throw the dead tri tip out when I'm through.[p]A good day to ya and brew to boot,
    New Bob

• Bordello
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Thanks, I may have to omitt the garlic but that's O.K. as I almost always do. Hmmm, or if I do roast some garlic I may try just a bit of it.
    Looks like a trip to the store soon.[p]Regards,
    New Bob[p]

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    New Bob,
    actually, we skip the garlic as the wife is allergic.. .this stuffing is still fantastic though (the pancetta really adds great flavor). .. and its also great as a pizza topping (we've done that) and as a stromboli stuffing (per chuck). . ..

• Bordello
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    What section of the store do you find the pancetta??? I don't have a clue as to what it looks like.
    I just turned the zip-lock bag over to get the marinade on the other side of the tip. I had a little leftover hazelnut coffee grounds (fresh) so I added that as well, damn, it sure looks good
    Thanks,
    New Bob
    aka Bordello

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    New Bob,
    pancetta is a cured italian bacon. ..comes in a long roll. ..you can find it most italian delis. ..and the deli section of my safeway even sells it in the pre-sliced vacum packs. ...it is fattier than prociutto, with a less salty, but more smokey, flavor. .. really good stuff. . .

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    New Bob,[p]It's in the deli. You can get it in a package or from the deli guy. It's really expensive ham (for lack of better words)...
  • Bordello
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    Thanks, learn something new here all the time. Grin.[p]
    Cheers,
    New Bob

• Bordello
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Speaking of prociutto, would that work (although maybe not as good) because I have a package in the fridge.[p]Regards,
    New Bob

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    New Bob,
    i think prociutto would work just fine (better than regular bacon). ..add a drop more oil though as the prociutto is not as fatty as the pancetta. ..

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    New Bob,[p]There's a reason all that extra stuff was left in the frig.[p]Good day to you too![p]

Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ