Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ping Little Chef re: Salt Crusted Rib Roast

Options
LFGEnergy
LFGEnergy Posts: 618
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Finally had an opportunity to open your earlier response re: salt crusted rib roast. WOW, your link was incredible!!! What a great recipe!! And the pics are incredible.

Two questions please:

1. for the 3 bone roast you cooked, what was your approximate cook time? without saying, I cook to temp, but in planning, was it a 2 hour cook, or a 4 hour cook? I likely will do a 350F flat, versus the 325-400 range you used. Also, will plan at least a 30 minute rest per your recommendation.
2. Do you think you got any flavoring out of the ingredients you mixed into the salt crust mix? My thought is season heavy with the spices you want directly on meat, maybe give a 30 to 45 minute rest, and then build salt crust. I want more of a garlic flavor in meat, and thinking that garlic and crushed pepper on roast for a rest and then build the crust.

Thanks again!!!! Your pics were a HUGE encouragement.

Comments

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    LFGEnergy: Glad you enjoyed the post. Honestly, it's just as easy as any other roast...just another step before the Egg. Always fun to try new things for sure!
    Best I can recall, this was about a 5 pound roast, so probably on the Egg about 1:15. (Figure approximately 15 minutes per pound, give or take of course).
    And absolutely, the crust added a bunch of flavor! You can certainly try a garlic paste or whatever prior to the crust! That's what cooking is all about...experimenting! :) Anything that is in/or inside the crust will add flavor to the cook. Though I also suspect that the bulk of whatever you put underneath will also become 'part' of the salt crust, and lift off with it. This roast had excellent flavor, for sure. I was just surprised at how 'non-salty' it was. (Also understand I am kind of a salt freak... :whistle: ). Since a roast this size needs some good 'on the counter' time anyways, salt it up, garlic it up, whatever you would do to a steak, and let it sit. Then pat it dry before adding the crust.
    A couple things I forgot to consider before this cook (so others can learn by my mistakes):
    The salt really holds the heat in, so pull a few degrees less than you normally would, and it will carry over. You will definately get a few additional degrees carry over than a 'naked' roast.
    Remember to put the probe thermo in BEfore adding the crust. I had to do a lot of repair work because I forgot until after the crust was applied.
    Expect to use more salt than you expect, don't try to skimp. Have a couple boxes of kosher salt on hand. Mix with the egg whites until it is like wet sand. You can buy egg whites in a small box/carton in the egg section of your market, unless you plan to make a big cheesecake or key lime pie or something with the yolks! :laugh:

Have fun! :) Keep us posted!