Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Transporting the Egg, Suggestions Needed

Options
nysportsfan
nysportsfan Posts: 241
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just received my Maverick E-732, so I am pumped :woohoo: ...but no BGE yet? The store is still putting it together :angry:

I am picking up my Egg rather that get it delivered for $65. My question for those that have done this, what is the easiest way? I have a Suburban, and my brother has a pickup, which will I need? I'd rather put it in the Suburban, but can I lay this down, or does that defeat the purpose of them setting it up since the Egg isn't bolted down to the nest?

How about the pickup, ratchet downs? What's the easiest, safest, and best way?

Oh, and let's see if this works:
img20110126165835.jpg

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Take it out of the nest. Put it in the cargo area of the suburban and run a strap or 2 around it to keep it from tipping. Your other option is to strap in in with a seat belt in the back seat. Just pull the belt out all the way so it locks as it retracts. You will be fine.
  • Sip & Chat
    Options
    I drive a Yukon and picked my large up and they just set it inside the back. When i got home my wife and i set it into the nest. Unless you are driving on rough roads and going super fast it should be fine. Mine didn't budge even pulling up my steep drive, just take it easy.

Bob,
    North Georgia
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    nysportfan, If you have help at both locations your egg may fit in the front seat.

Take everything out of the egg and place in in the floor where one thing won't bang into the other.

If you are strong enough open the dome and reach your hand into the bottom of the egg and with the bottom vent open grab through the hole. Now pull your egg out of the nest. Do all this very close to your vehicle. tie it down or use your seat belt...your dealer my have some great advice as well.

One more thing. Most dealers hang on to the big green egg feet and plastic pieces that retain the hinge assembly while installing or dissembling. Get all these things. Sometimes dealers forget stuff so be familiar with what you are suppose to get. Tim

Happy day today be safe and have fun. :)
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Just buy a bunch of lump, push the egg in the suburban to the corner behind the seat and pack it in with a pile of bags of lump. You'll need it sooner or later, and running out SUCKS.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I brought my large home in a Maxima. Pieces all over the place. Strapped the base of the egg to the front seat. The other parts here and there. No problem.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I brought a large home in the backseat of my Lexus. I took the innards out and put them in the trunk. Just have someone help you when you are placing it in the nest.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Beaker
    Beaker Posts: 293
    Options
    Everyone had good advice...low speed...slow home..get it? Low n Slow... :) :laugh: :)

Here is mine once it arrived home.

Obviously yours is assembled. B)

050.jpg
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    nysportsfan,

I have transported my large eggs in a pickup while still in the nest and it can get a little hairy. The egg itself is fairly stable but I would take it out of the nest.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Had mine delivered, luckily, the shop is less then a mile from my house so no delivery fee ;)
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • field hand
    Options
    I just took my small from St Louis to the Florida panhandle for a month stay. We pull a fifth wheel so the truck bed was full, so we carried it in the back seat of the truck. We cleaned/vac it out, used packing bubbles to secure the insides, put it in a plastic crate (Wal Mart type), set it in the back seat and put the seat belt around it. It rode there for two days down there and two days back, with no problems. I'm sure your BGE is larger than my small, but I think this method would work for a medium as well. BTW, the small did a great job during our stay, had lots of folks stop by and inquire about it and how we liked it. That smoke/meat smell gets lots of attention.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    I've done that too
  • nysportsfan
    Options
    Yeah, I bought a large BGE, so it might not fit in my coworkers Smart Car :laugh:

OK, so I feel a bit better about just going to take the Suburban and making it work. The snow is getting ridiculous, so I am hoping my brother and I can get over there tomorrow after work. Thanks again, everyone.
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    You have a large egg AND a Lexus :woohoo:
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    You could pack it with a few Mets shirts in case they get ruined
  • nysportsfan
    Options
    It's funny you mention that - my brother is a long time Seattle Seahawks fan (since he was a youngin') and after a long battle with losing, he burned all of his apparel on his grill in disgust :lol:
  • Crimsongator
    Options
  • Beaker
    Beaker Posts: 293
    Options
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    hahahaha! good one.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Susan Egglaine
    Options
    You might as well pick up 2! They will easily fit :laugh:
    DSCN3730.jpg
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Please forgive my sarcasm, hope your transport goes well and you get your new friend burning soon. Happy egging!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    That's the ticket. B)
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Did those come from Atlanta 2 years ago?
  • Susan Egglaine
    Options
    Nope, I got the mini this year in Atlanta but my others have come from my local dealer :)
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Gotcha, For some reason I thought you got those in 09 when you were parked next to us for the day.
  • howmeisterg
    Options
    I used this product to carry my XL egg from the car to the deck with my wife. Since there is little to grab onto, and you do not want to hold by the hinge, this is a good solution, and cheap:

http://www.amazon.com/PotLifter-200-Pound-Gardening-Heavy-Lifting/dp/B002ECFFJ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296091615&sr=8-1

Worked really well on the XL. Was able to lift it into the nest pretty easily.

My dealer had the assembled egg on a furniture dolly, which we wheeled up a pair of aluminum ramps into the back of the vane, and then strapped it onto the hooks. No problem.
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    I've used the potlifter before (not mine) and was lucky enough to get one for Christmas :woohoo:
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    That is what mine looked like, but Santa delivered it and it was 'under' the tree..
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • nysportsfan
    Options
    Perfect, Suburban it is! Thanks :cheer:
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    NY- If you purchased new then chances are it will be in boxes like the pic beaker showed. There is really nothing to it if it is in boxes. Load up the boxes and head home. If it is assembled, you might want to take blankets, straps, etc to make sure it doesn't tip. Either way the 'burban will be more than enough room. I stuffed my large in the back of a 99 4runner without laying down the seats. I think my 4runner would fit in the back of your 'burban :P.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Jumping Joe
    Options
    The dealer in Memphis has free delivery for the large so that was nice.....had to but the seatbelt on the small.......

photo.jpg