Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sundown, You Were Right......

Options
WooDoggies
WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Picnic.jpg
<p />All these year's I've been reading your posts about picnics.
You say picnic is what your family always wants for pulled pork because they like the taste better than the butt.
To be honest, I've taken your posts with a grain of salt.... as I've always cooked butts, butts, butt, butts... always.... as butts are king.
Well, this weekend all I could find at the local grocery were picnics. So, grumbling, bought a 9 pounder for 9 bucks, removed the skin, rubbed it up and cooked until done.
Man alive, the steaming chunks of meat coming off that cut were so luscious, dark and rich, and so full of pork flavor that my eyes rolled back in my head. The flavor just tasted "richer" to me and WooKitties agreed.
Besides the bone and a little gristle, there was very little waste and it took all of 3 minutes to pull, chop and serve.[p]So you were right, dude. I learned a good lesson this weekend which was.... don't get so set in your ways.... listen and try something new... it may surprise you.
PBR's![p]John

Comments

• WooDoggies,[p]Please elaborate on "picnics." Is this what I would ask for at the butcher shop? And what kind of cut is this? How do you remove the skins?[p]Thanks in advance.[p]Tommy
  • egghead2004
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    Keep the skin on next time! Your missing a great crispy treat!!
    I agree, my wife's family has always cooked picnics. I've low and slowed both picnics and butts and find the picnic more flavorful, and the skin...reminds me of the pig roast we do now and then.
    mmmm good eats.[p]

• Caney
    Caney Posts: 36
    Options
    Tommy K,[p]Picnic and Butt is different. Butt is the shoulder. Picnic is the front leg, upper portion. Leave fat cap on. It will help to keep it moist. I like the Butt more for pulled pork.[p]Caney[p]
  • egghead2004
    Options
    Tommy K,
    The picnic is the other half of the full pork shoulder. The butt I believe is the upper shoulder blade, and the picnic is more of the shank of the leg..I think. The picnic has skin covering 1/2 or more of the roast. You can cut it off, but I never have. We usualy poke holes through it and insert 1/2 crushed gsrlic cloves that have been mixed with seasoning and olive oil. When done, the skin is crispy and almost tastes like bacon, it is a treat if you have never tried it. I say try it by leaving the skin on, then when you remove the picnic and pull the meat, just discard the skin if you do not like it. After cooking 20 hours, it comes right off in one big piece. I think leaving it on keeps more moisture in there too.[p]hey, to each their own, but I always try something once before I make an opinion, and move on. Try it, you may like it.

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    WooDoggies,[p]I like to score the skin and rub it. You can also cut under the skin and rub it underneath. When the picnic is done the skin can be a very special dog treat.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    unless doing large quantities i do the picnic,i like the flavor and the texture better with these.around here the butchers only stock boneless butt and i want that piece for making soups. after cooking the picnic freeze the bone for kale soup or peasoup

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    That did it. Now I gota buy a picnic and give it a try because I've never cooked one. Heard about em - all good things. [p]Today I'm brushing off the snow and fireing up the egg to bake bread. Country white with a crispy crust. Then will slow cook two turkey leg and thighs for supper. In winter, the egg really shows its capabilites. It's also nice to warm my hands on the dome. [p]Clay Q

• jerseymatt
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    picnics are all I can find also. You said you pulled the fat cap off. Did you lay it back b4 placing on the grill? if there was a particular recipe I would like to get my greedy mits on it! Thanks!

• WooDoggies, yep and before long ya'll will proly be doing a whole ham (pork leg for Reg) for your pulled pork; and when you do - get ready for an even "bigger" surprize.

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    Thanks for the good words and I'm glad you tried the picnic. I have been pretty vocal about it for some time now. When my famiily tasted the shoulder the first time they made it very clear that's all they wanted in the future.
    An interesting aside. I've an elderly cousin that has had throat cancer and in the course of treatments has no sense of taste. HE also has a very hard time swallowing an he has lost his sense of taste . . . except, he claims, he can taste the meat from the shoulder. He can't eat a lot but he appears to really savor and enjoy pig when I cook it.
    Again, thanks for the good words.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    Options
    Chet,
    when you cook that ham, do you wrap in foil for the last part of the cook or just cook the same way as the butt

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    4bcb5d24.jpg
    <p />WooDoggies,
    Try with the skin on too! Super moist. A favorite recipe is "The Renowned Mr. Brown" from Smoke and Spice.

[ul][li]Renowned Mr. Brown[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    BTW, A fresh ham (non-cured) is also a real treat. They are a little hard to come by but worth a try.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • WD, when making sausage i use as many picnics as i do the butts for the same reason, always seemed to be a sweeter meat. they sell the whole shoulder up here called a New York shoulder and you can get it pretty well most of the year for $.99[p]have a good one [p]reg

• fishlessman, I haven't wrapped any butts or ham during any part of the cook, but that is something very important on pulled beef as we've all seen on a lot of post lately on that subject.

• LOG
    LOG Posts: 85
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    I have to agree. I do either boneless shoulders/picnics or bone in. I have tried butts but found them to be greasier and not as tasty.

• Jose'
    Jose' Posts: 48
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    That looks like a beaver!

• WooDoggies
    Options
    egghead2004,[p]I like the crispy skin, too and it's eggspecially good if it's finely chopped and added to the pork. Served hot on a bun with a dallop of creamy coleslaw.... awesome stuff.[p]John

• WooDoggies
    Options
    jerseymatt,[p]I removed the skin leaving a thin layer of fat, rubbed it up and let it all carmelize during the cook.
    I wanted a maximum of bark and I wouldn't have gotten that if I had left the skin on.... bark is good.[p]A basic recipe for butt or picnic or whole shoulder is too remove excess fat and skin, mix your favorite rub 50/50 with turbinado or brown sugar, cover the whole cut with the mix and cook indirect at 225-250 until the internal reaches 195-200 or the meat starts to fall apart.[p]This has got to be one of the easiest and most satisfying cooks done on your cooker. Good Luck!
    John

• WooDoggies
    Options
    Chet,[p]I have yet to do a fresh ham for a long cook..... so much meat, so little time![p]John

• WooDoggies
    Options
    Sundown,[p]I'm going to have to cook a few more before I'm totally convinced :~) ..... but, man, that cut is all flavor and rich..... very nice surprise.[p]My best to your cousin. [p]John

• WooDoggies
    Options
    reg,[p]Hard to believe that something so good could only be $.99 a pound.... I tell you what.[p]Hey, I still want to get into charcuterie.... just finding the time to get started.
    I'm trying to sell WooKitties on the idea of building a traditional stone smokehouse out near the barn..... and I did promise her it would look purty in the end.[p]Sleeman's!
    John

• WooDoggies
    Options
    Now that's funny!
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    John:[p]Here are your drawings . . . Looking forward to pictures of the finished project! Better yet, some samples of your finished product!
  • WooDoggies
    Options
    djm5x9,[p]That's it exactly!..... except the walls will be in stone.
    You are invited to come up and help, being a contractor and all. I will pay you in food, shelter and a soft pillow.... no kidding.[p][p]

• WooDoggies
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]That's a good point and resource that not many folks take advantage of .....I save all the bones from all my cooks... be it fowl, pork or beef make stock and freeze.
    Nothing like homemade stocks and consommés to add richness and flavor to dishes when you need it.
    Cheers!
    John

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    PicnicMole.jpg
    <p />Great eye! [p]Maybe like the Picnic Mole![p]Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    John:[p]Here is a design constructed with CMU. You can always face the CMU with stone if you don't have access to stone block. If you do use stone blocks you may want to beef up the foundation a bit.[p]This is an alternate consideration for a firebox. Something to cook on while you smoke!
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]When you open the Egg, if that thing sees its shadow, does that mean 6 more weeks of BBQ?[p]Not sure that made sense....[p]Heeee,
    Cornfed