Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Saving smoked cheese

Options
PattyO
PattyO Posts: 883
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I waited the week and am now enjoying my smoked cheese. I made sharp, colby, pepperjack and Swiss. Now, how do I preserve it so they don't get moldy. I do use a food saver. I'm more concerned when the weather is too warm to smoke any more. I'd probably want this all year, not just in the cooler weather.

Comments

• hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    I found a food saver bag of my smoked cheese in a bottom drawer of my fridge. It was over a year old. :blush: :pinch: It was still great. :)
  • PattyO
    Options
    Good, but I've already had sealed cheese that I've purchased that have molded. But it's better than a ziplock.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Foodsdaver.A little dusting of a fine salt will also inhibit mold growth. ;) Even if it does get a little mold,it is only on the outside.Cut/wipe it off and you are good to go.Cheeze is mold. ;)
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Patty, You can freeze it. Just remember when you do, you can't slice it. It crubles but still tastes great!
    I've never tried or heard of the salt thing.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • PattyO
    Options
    How warm is too warm to smoke cheese. Talking about the weather, not egg temp. I know we're only smoldering wood chips.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Cheeze is mold.

Not exactly Hoss. Some cheeses are made using a specific strain of mold (blue, roquefort, brie, etc.) but most cheese do not use mold - and no cheese is exclusively mold to my knowledge.

Mold can safely be cut away, like you say, but the whole hunk isn't mold at all. Just fyi.

the_more_you_know.jpg
  • Scotty's Inferno
    Options
    I've smoked cheese when it was in the 70's with no problems. I have had cheese in food saver bags in the fridge for 6 months, no prob. Scott
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    I think you can do it year round here. Don't forget about the ice tray option. I'd say 70's max...? :unsure:
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Hoss
    Options
    I stand corrected.Thank you. :) I need to add a disclaimer to my signature."This is my opinion and I drink moonshine, so there." :laugh: ;) But really, thanks. :)
  • Hoss
    Options
    Keep it under 100 egg dome temp,75-80 would be better.All ya gotta do is put a big bowl of ice under the cheeze when ya smokin it.Specially if you use the soldering iron and chips.
  • Hoss
    Options
    I learned that from Martha.Dampen a paper towel,sprinkle it with fine sea salt and wrap the cheeze in the salted towel then put in a ziploc and into the fridge.If it's a lie,she told it. ;)
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    Patty, just foodsaver and store in fridge. Make sure everything is impeccably clean when you prep, smoke and package, avoid touching with bare hand. The cheese blocks I served at Nieggara were several months old and tasted just fine.
    Gary
    canuckland
  • PattyO
    Options
    Your cheese is what got me interested in smoking my own. Huge thank you.
  • Fossil Frank
    Options
    I've found that cheese doesn't mold after smoking. I've had some for three months in the fridge in a plastic bag or in a plastic container and no mold. If you want to smoke cheese in PA in the summer just use the ice in a tray thing. I've done it in warm weather here in Indiana with no problems.
    Frank from Indiana